Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Well I Guess This Must Be The Start.....

I've kept a diary now for 13 years - since my first day at Uni. Writing a diary has been a real pain the in arse but it is like an addiction. I have to do it everyday, whatever state I am in. It doesn't take long, maybe 5 minutes, and most days it is full of the same old drivel.

But I am hoping this blog will be different. It's about time I set up one of these anyway.

You see, I am about to leave the UK with Helen, and move to Australia!!. We met there in 2000 when we were both backpackers and after coming back to the UK, and spending 5 years in Bristol, we have decided it is time to go back. I applied for residency in 2004..and got it !! (I used this company to help get me my visa. They were great!!) We leave for Australia in February.......but we are going through South America en route.

Leaving our friends and family behind is going to be rough. But it is something we both feel we have to do. We don't want the "What if?" question hanging over us. Is that selfish? I don't know, but as hard as it is to go, it definitely feels like the right thing to do.

So we leave in just over three weeks time. We have both handed our resignation in and it definitely felt a little strange, leaving the comfort zone, especially as I don't have a job to go to (neither does H), let alone have anywhere to live. But it still doesn't feel very real. Maybe because we are so busy at the moment getting things sorted and seeing as many people as possible. I guess it will hit us at the airport after we have cleared passport control. And said "See you later" to our parents.

We are flying to Brazil to start with (for the Rio Carnival!!) before heading south to Uruguay, Argentina and finally Chile where we fly from to Sydney, arriving in May. It promises to be an exciting road trip, and hopefully I'll be able to document a lot of it on here. And when we get to Australia I'll update the blog with details of our new life Down Under.

Enjoy!!

9 Comments:

  • At 25/1/06 10:53 PM, Blogger Pink Icing said…

    Good luck to you both. I hope you find everything you're looking for.

    Where are you planning to go in South America?

     
  • At 25/1/06 11:29 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Cool....I have just started this blog and you are the first to comment. I guess to were surfing and just came across it.

    We will be going to Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile!!

     
  • At 29/1/06 11:31 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Hi Mikey

    Great to hear from you. I was just saying to H the other day that we hadn't heard from you for a while.

    Shame we cant meet you in SA, but hey...we'll be seeing you in Australia mate!! We arrive in May so will have to catch up soon after.

    We'll be on email as well, but I will try and update this blog as often as possible while we are on the road.

    Take care

    Love Jonny and H xx

     
  • At 29/1/06 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Johnny, Just wanted to slip a little note in for Hells..

    Hi sweetie, hearing that you two are on your way makes me so happy for you. I'm proud to say I was there when it all started, what an adventure!! Enjoy the sun, the surf, the beers and the breeka...

    Love you to pieces, you'll be in my thoughts (no more Bristol Balloon fiesta, hey??)

    be safe and take care of eachother

    Cayley Rose xoxo

     
  • At 29/1/06 11:36 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Hi Cayley

    Wow....how cool, this blog business really works!!

    Thanks for those kind comments. H has just read them and she says she will email you soon. She is well chuffed.

    Definitely keep in touch..we will be updating this blog as often as possible.

    Yep - you were there from the very beginning. We were looking through old Beaches photos the other day. And also ones of the Balloon fiesta. Great memories.

    Take care
    Love Jonny and H xx

     
  • At 30/1/06 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey you two!

    just had a look at your blog and added it to my fav's so that i can keep having a look once you've gone!
    feels kind of wierd knowing that we won't just see you around.
    anyway i'll definatly be seeing you both before you go...
    lots of love
    katie
    xxx

     
  • At 30/1/06 5:58 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Cheers Katie.

    It should be the best way to let everyone know what we are up to. I'll try and update it as much as possible in South America, depending on how often we get to an internet cafe.

    Otherwise it'll be updated regularly in Oz when we get broadband.

    See ya soon

    Jonny :-)

     
  • At 15/2/06 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Luck t you both. Shame we didn't catch up too much when you were in the U.K, so perhaps being the other side of the world will be different!!! Stay in touch and I will be sure to show and enlighten you on the shinanigans of my wedding on May 19th 2006!!

    All the best

     
  • At 23/2/06 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Hatch and Jonny!

    Hope everything is going well and you are extremely drunk and all! Steve and me have settled well in our new flat and even the telewest sorted (YAY!). Will keep in touch on this blog so keep the stories coming (saved it to favs too!)

    lots of love

    Stan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home