Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hope FC

I played my last game for my football team, Hope FC, this morning. I have been playing for them for 4 years now and loved every minute of it. Well, apart from the time I fractured my skull!!! You see, for as long as I can remember I have always loved football. And I have always played for a team (the pinnacle of my footballing career was playing in the FA Youth Cup, albeit as an unused sub!!). When I moved to Bristol I joined Hope FC who play in the Bristol Churches League.

Anyway, over the four years I never experienced a league promotion or a relegation (mind you, it was a bit difficult to get relegated from Division 2, when there are only 2 leagues!!). And I never experienced a cup win. But it was a good laugh with a cracking bunch of people. I won Player Of The Year in my first two seasons with the club (I play centre-half), and then fractured my skull in my third season (clash of heads, not very pleasant)..I like to think that was why I didn't win it for a third year :-). And in my fourth and final season I was made Team Captain. I spent most the time playing at the back, but just recently I moved into the centre of the park, and then today I went up front..and scored! We were 3-0 down at the time....but we drew 3-3. And I am currently joint top scorer...with 3 goals for the season.

I am going to really miss it when I'm in Australia. Maybe I'll join an Expat team. Mind you, the injuries these days seem to take a lot longer to heal. Maybe I'll take up cricket instead. Watch this space.

Anyway, thanks to Big Jon, Chris, Jordan, Andy, Chewie, Quin, Joe, Neil, James, Markus, Paul, Nick and Pete (the gaffer)...and the likes of the two Rich's who don't play anymore..and Eric! And Mikey "Da Engine" Roberts who now lives in Singapore (All Right Here?). It's been a lot of fun.

Good luck for the rest of the season, and beyond!!


Oh yeah, I'll post the team photo when Pete emails it to me.

8 Comments:

  • At 29/1/06 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck big J and H.

     
  • At 29/1/06 1:15 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks anonymous

     
  • At 31/1/06 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Will you stop talking about football when you move to Oz?

    Please.. :)

     
  • At 31/1/06 5:10 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Never :-)

    It's in my blood.

     
  • At 2/2/06 6:04 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    I should hope so Jonny - looking forward to hearing all about the South-American football stadiums and Dwight Yorke playing for Sydney...

    No luck getting the team photo up then?

     
  • At 2/2/06 8:56 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    It's HUGE!! So I dont think I'll be able to post it. Shame as I look great in it ;-)

     
  • At 3/2/06 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very good jonny,especially chris moyles

     
  • At 3/2/06 7:00 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Cheers Dad - but as far as I can remember Chris Moyles never played fro Hope FC (although there may have been one or two players who could have done with shedding a few extra pounds).

    I think you replied to the wrong post :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home