Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sydney, Australia

So here we are in sunny Sydney, after more than two years of paperwork and waiting, and a nice jolly around South America. We arrived last Tuesday (2nd) at 7ish and were treated to THE view of the harbour as we flew in, which was great. It made a nice change arriving in a country and knowing what to do and where to go.

The flight here was pretty dull. There isn't anything to see when you fly for twelve hours over the pacific, but the three hour leg from Auckland was cool. Qantas are so much better than LAN Chile who were very shy with the free booze. Oh, and Auckland airport was a good place to stop. We both waxed the credit cards. I bought myself a new camera :-).

Before we left the UK we had decided that we wanted to try and set up a home in Manly, which is on the North Shore, so we had to make the mission there from the airport, which is some way south of the city. This involved getting a minibus from the airport to Circular Quay, and then a ferry across the harbour to Manly. It was a great feeling seeing the Bridge and the Opera House close-up again, and it actually felt like we hadn't been away. By the time we got to our temporary digs in Manly we were both pretty exhausted and we crashed out. The duty-free champagne was put on ice.

We hit the ground running on Tueday and sorted out bank accounts and a mobile (H has got a new SIM card so you can all call us if you like ;-)). We also had a look at a few rental lists as we both wanted to get somewhere sorted to live a.s.a.p. and on Wednesday we had a look at five different properties. I think that most of you now know that we have agreed to sign up for a place on the beach front in Manly. It's not the biggest flat (or unit) in the world, but it does have one of the best views, and is in a perfect location (especially as I want to learn to surf and now I can see what the surf is like from my bedroom!). It's about ten mintutes walk from the wharf, and then a thirty minute ferry ride into the city. And it is cheap for the area. And you don't have to pay a TV licence, water rates or Council Tax over here, so it doesn't cost much more than living in Bedmo. The only draw back that I can see so far is that I can't get Foxtel installed yet because all of the flat owners have to agree to it (or something like that). I have been told I should be able to get it in a month or so, but I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully I'll get it in time for the next Premiership season, but at least all 64 games in the World Cup are on free-to-view SBS TV over here. I must buy a TV. As for internet connection, we should be up and running in a few weeks, once our shipment arrives. Anyway, we are due to sign the lease on Tuesday.


Since we agreed to go for the flat we have been really busy trying to "sort fings out". We seem to have spent most of our time looking at beds and sofas and, to be honest, I have found it all a little overwhelming and very tiring. I guess I underestimated how much stuff we actually needed to fill a flat. So far I have bought a fridge/freezer, and put a holding deposit on a sofa from "Fantastic Furniture" which will probably be too big for the flat, so that will have to be cancelled. We went to IKEA today (7th) and that was great fun! We carrried two huge bags full of kitchen stuff all the way back to Manly from the Olympic Park. We need to get a bed sorted for Tuesday so I think we are going to hire a car and go back there then.

Bloody hell, I guess you lot don't really need to know all this do you. Sorry.

On a more social note, H and I went into the city and met Will on Friday (5th) night. We haven't seen him since we were here last year so it was great catching up. We went to Kings Cross and revisited an old haunt of mine, The Green Park.

Aside from all of the running around we are both really glad to be here, and are looking forward to enjoying Sydney when the dust settles. I haven't even been on the beach yet!

I'll update the blog soon with more pictures and less writing.

6 Comments:

  • At 7/5/06 4:32 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Don't apologise - It's actually quite interesting to hear what it's really like arriving in a new country and setting up home - a logistical nightmare! Sounds like you're on top of things though, even if it has meant spending your first week in Australia shopping.

     
  • At 7/5/06 5:19 PM, Blogger alibloke said…

    Great to hear you guys arrived safely in Oz. I'm sure it'll all be worth it once you've got settled in! You guys 'll have to invest in one of them poncy headsets for Messenger once you guys are all netted up.

     
  • At 9/5/06 9:49 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Yes, very interesting Jonny. Trying to picture it all. Not booked my flights yet, but will be doing so early next week if I can. Looking forward to seeing all that classy IKEA furniture. Did you have the Swedish meatballs?

     
  • At 9/5/06 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats mate, the flat looks cool and being able to surf right opposite sounds wicked. In fact I'm well jealous. Get down that beach and let us know how the surfin goes. Can you dive across the street too?

     
  • At 11/5/06 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, its naomi, I knew H at filton college, anyway, just wanted to say when we moved countries (to zurich) we had nothing at all and had to buy everything from ikea, and now our flat looks like an ikea show room!
    *shudder*
    Its cool to hear you and H are starting a new life in Aus hope it works out really well!

     
  • At 12/5/06 1:21 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks for the comments everyone. Since I last updated the blog we haven't stopped. In fact I don't think I have ever worked so hard. The events of the last week are worthy of their own blog, so I'll do that soon. And I'll finally get round to catching up on everyone else's blogs as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home