Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ivory Coast 3 Serbia & Montenegro 2

I already knew the result of this game before it was shown on SBS. If I didn't I would have probably gone back to bed. I need more than four hours of sleep a day which is what I seem to be getting at the moment.

I can't remember the name of the commentator but I recognised his voice. I think he used to commentate on crappy League football in the UK. He sounded like Peter Brackley. He pissed me right off.

Mikey questioned the use of the name "Côte d'Ivoire" here. Well this guy used it so much I nearly turned the bloody coverage off. It's not the name that I mind, but rather the way this guy said it. There was just something about it that got under my skin. He could have at least tried to do it in a French accent. But I think he came from the Midlands so it was shite. I have no idea why he couldn't use the name "Ivory Coast". He called them "Ivories" when suggesting that they had been "tinkered with", so why not call them "Ivoires"? He also called them "Ivorians".

It was a cracking game though - five goals, lots of yellow cards, a couple of reds, a couple of penalties and some fantastic sliding tackles not seen since Hope FC drew with Nailsea in the pouring rain in the Bristol Churches League equivalent of "El Classico". How we deserved to beat them on that evening.

6 Comments:

  • At 22/6/06 6:51 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I first did my knee playing against Nailsea in an evening game. Happy memories.

     
  • At 22/6/06 7:43 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Hang on....

    How could I be so wrong? I meant the game against Santos, not Nailsea (a 1-1 draw played in the pishing rain. I scored our goal, a header from the edge of the box over the keeper....then Chris Clare gave away a penalty with a rather reckless challenge, and just after I'd nearly castrated myself on the goalpost following a goalline clearance). That was always "El Classico". Sorry for inadvertently bringing back those memories for you.

     
  • At 22/6/06 5:21 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    I'm glad you cleared that up - I spent ages trying to remember a classic evening match against Nailsea. I was beginning to get paranoid that I'd had a shocker and therefore repressed it, or something. The Santos game was indeed a classic and we were unlucky not to win it, but if I remember rightly we did stop them from winning the title that year.

     
  • At 22/6/06 6:24 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Sorry Damo - it's just the way they say "Côte d'Ivoire"! ;-)

    Sorry for the confusion Andy, I can't believe I got it so wrong. The only thing 'classic' about playing Nailsea as the banter with 'Fat Boy' Kelvin. And the fact that I scored against them everytime I played them (I think). And they were the last team I played against for Hope FC. And that Mike hurt his knee against them.

     
  • At 22/6/06 6:29 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Didn't one of your goals against Nailsea go into the roof of the net from your right testicle?

     
  • At 22/6/06 6:34 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Erm, yes!

    Actually, I think I robbed Chewie of that goal.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home