Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Monday, June 26, 2006

Portugal 1 Holland 0

I was so tired after the England game that I had to go to bed but I did set my alarm for 6am so I could get up for the second half of this game. It was a new tactic to help me avoid what happened in yesterdays Argentina / Mexico game when I kept falling asleep on the sofa.

So after the alarm went off and a cheeky snooze I made my way to the lounge, put the TV on, sat back and watched the carnage unfold. 16 yellow cards (which equals the World Cup record) and 4 red cards (which is a new World Cup record). Fantastic. Graham Poll would be proud.

For what it's worth I thought Deco should've got a straight red for his first challenge, and there was nothing better then seeing that smug look get wiped off his face when he was sent off for his second offence and he realised he would miss the next game if they went through.....and that can only be a good thing for England.

It's sure to bring back memories of that eventful night in BRB and Brannigan's during Euro 2004. Pile-on anyone?

7 Comments:

  • At 26/6/06 1:44 AM, Blogger Me said…

    That was my favourite game of this world cup so far. Class.

    I'll give that pile-on a miss this year, I think...

    Portugal will batter us.

     
  • At 26/6/06 6:09 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    The pile-on in question was a legendary moment in 'watching England in a public place' history. Mike has a very fond memory of that moment. He may enlighten everyone.

    That and dancing around to Ant and Dec's 'We're On The Ball' after beating Argentina.

    Cracking game and I am glad I got to see most of the second half live.

    I think we will beat Portugal. It's about time we put in a world class performance and I think this will be the game to do it.

     
  • At 26/6/06 10:33 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    Ahh, happy memories. That injury time winner in 2004 still goes down in history as provoking the greatest ever pub goal celebration. All of us covered in beer hugging random strangers in a mammoth pile-on. And yes, Mike's experience of it is definitely worth a reminder!

    I really hope it's not that close this time.

     
  • At 26/6/06 12:55 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Yes, it wasn't so much a pile-on for me as a bear-hug... so I hope it's not that close this time, either. Nor the game.

     
  • At 27/6/06 1:33 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    And it wasn't a winner either. It was Lampards equaliser in extra-time that caused the pile-on, well that and Chewie's foot.

    We still lost on penalties though.

    It's time for revenge on Saturday.

     
  • At 27/6/06 2:27 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Yes of course, that's what I meant.

    I really think we'll do them this time...

     
  • At 28/6/06 11:16 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Me too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home