Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Book Twenty Seven

Does anyone out there know that this is all about?

I really struggled with this one. On a bit of a high after Book Twenty Six, I thought it was time to give this one a crack (it is also one of Hosseini's favourite books). But as soon as I started I knew it would be a mission to get through it.

I really didn't understand what was going on. Ok, it was something to do with a family in India. But that's about as far as I got. I found myself reading it for the sake of reading it, and not because I was enjoying it which was a shame. I read it because I started it (and didn't want to give in) and it was a relief when I'd finished it.

I found everything to be too descriptive and visual. Every sentence seemed to have some illustration. Nothing was simple. It was bloody hard work.

H loves this one, so does Kim and Ella. Why? Maybe I didn't like it because I haven't got a creative bone in my body.

It was also the first book that I've read where I tried to find an online guide to help me. I couldn't.

8 Comments:

  • At 26/6/07 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No creative bone? Mate, you created this blog!

    Go and pick up Shantaram as i suggested. Yes it's sizeable, but you'll mow it down in no time as it's quite the page-turner.

     
  • At 27/6/07 11:44 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Hi Jonny. This book is on my shelf and I tried it a couple of times but couldn't get very far. I think there's a small chance it might be a book more suited for the female of the species.

    When will you give up on a book you're not enjoying? You really should start to do that, you know. It's not a crime...

    Shantaram - I've not read it, but it's by David Gregory Roberts, which is almost my brother's name, so I'm rather curious.

     
  • At 28/6/07 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Slight correction there Mike - it's actually by Gregory David Roberts ;)

     
  • At 30/6/07 1:51 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I know, I really should stop a book when I don't like the sound (is that right?) of it when I start it. But I just can't. I'll be sure to blog the book when I do though.

    H has started reading this one again. She has already read it and is loving it a second time round. I just don't get it.

    I'd like to know why Ella liked it so much. Can you ask her for me Mike?

    Thanks for the recommendation Simo. It's on the list. And thanks for the blog comment as well mate ;)

     
  • At 2/7/07 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read this book and it took me ages, couldn't get into it. Not sure why as I'm female and would like to think I have at least one creative bone in my body....:)

     
  • At 7/7/07 12:48 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks for the correction Simo. I was close, though...

    I'll let you know why Ella liked it. She's in England at the moment - won't see her til next week.

     
  • At 7/7/07 8:11 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I look forward to the update Mike.

     
  • At 23/7/07 11:58 AM, Blogger swisslet said…

    I have this book and can't be arsed with it either. I don't know why. I'm the same with "The Life of Pi" too. Still, don't sweat it. Plenty more books to read, eh?

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home