Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Book Twenty Six

It's actually a good thing that I tried to identify the difference between a good 'story' and a good 'book' here (see the Comments section). Because if Book Twenty Five is the best story I've read since being here, then Book Twenty Six has to be the best book I've read. Ok, I know I always seem to rave about the latest book that I've read, but bear with me on this.

Book Twenty Six is the first book that I've read here that I couldn't get out my head. I found myself thinking about it at the most random times. I found myself staring at it in a bookshop, even though I had my own copy. I found myself talking about it to my work colleagues about it (who does that, except English teachers?). In fact one guy even called up his missus and asked her to buy him a copy that day because she was out shopping. He hasn't read for years and he is loving Book Twenty Six. And I found myself talking to H about it in a really passionate way. Weird eh! When people asked what it's about I told them it was about a boy growing up in Afghanistan before Russia invaded, and America after. It doesn't sound very exciting but this book will knock you for six if you haven't read it.

It's disturbing. It's harrowing. It's beautiful. It's brilliant. It's a work of bleedin' genius, that's what it is. It paints a picture and you are there, every step of the way.

And it is the only book I have read which actually made me feel sick. Not even 'American Psycho' could do that!

It has definitely left a lasting impression – my only concern now is where do I possibly go from here?

I've noticed that Housseni has released a new book but I think I should leave it well alone for the moment. What if it is not as good? I don’t want it to risk ruining the brilliance of 'The Kite Runner'. Has anyone out there read both of them? I've read reviews of the new book and it does sound very, very good, but maybe it's just too soon!

Thanks to Mike and Ella for mentioning this book when you were over here.

This reading thing is great!


10 Comments:

  • At 31/5/07 4:54 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    I have to admit you've done well sticking at it. I really thought the fad would have passed by now. Perhaps the pressure of blogging every single book and competing for page-per-day-ratio has kept you interested?

     
  • At 3/6/07 9:28 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks mate. It helps having the commute to work. Without that I don't think I'd be reading very much at all.

    But yeah, the blog puts me under a lot of pressure. I seem to have put the page-per-day competition to one side, but I'm conscious of the two books per month ratio I seem to have achieved since I arrived here.

     
  • At 7/6/07 12:03 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Jonny. You've just described, very powerfully, why everybody should read. You learn about yourself. You learn about the world. Your life changes, whether it's in a minor way (like talking about it for a bit, or thinking about stuff) or in a major way (by having a 'lasting impression' made on you). Your words are very inspiring for me as an English teacher: reading a good book is a very powerful thing, which is very easy to forget when you're marking essays or filling in marks on a spreadsheet.

    So glad you liked the book. It leaves you feeling fragile and insignificant yet empowered. Bittersweet. That's what I want a book to make me feel.

    As for A Thousand Splendid Suns, his 2nd book, I bought it last week, but I've got another couple of books ahead of it in the pile. Ella, however, took advantage and read it in two days and she loved every second of it. I don't think you'll be disappointed by it. As you say, all the reviews say it's brilliant too. Go on. Read it next! Race you...

     
  • At 7/6/07 12:18 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Gees, it feels like, after Twenty Six attempts, I have finally been given an A+. I'm glad you liked my review.

    It really is an astonishing (what a great word that is! I don't think I have ever typed it before) read. I still find myself thinking about it. And get this, the guy I mentioned in the post who got his missus to get a copy recently finished it. He loved it, and no sooner has he finished it but he is cracking on with 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. And he is raving about that as well. So my reading has changed his life! I feel like Jim when he used to fix it, or Noel when he used to give out his Xmas gifts.

    I'm currently reading Book Twenty Seven and am struggling big time. In fact I feel like I'm going through the motions with it, just to read it rather than actually enjoy it which is a shame. I've said it before but this really is the toughest test I have had and some of you may agree when you see what it is (don't you just love the suspense?). I also bought Book Twenty Eight today and I cannot wait to get my eyes into that one. And it's not 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.....yet!

     
  • At 9/6/07 9:53 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Oh Jonny,

    The suspense is just killing me...

     
  • At 13/6/07 2:27 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Just finished 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. It's great, but not quite as moving as 'The Kite Runner'. Well worth a read, but I think you're right to leave it for a bit.

     
  • At 17/6/07 8:24 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Mike...on the 7th June you wrote this;

    "As for 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', his 2nd book, I bought it last week, but I've got another couple of books ahead of it in the pile."

    And on the 13th June you say you have already read it.

    You really are a reading machine, unless of course you promoted it up the pile! And even then a book a week is something I aspire to. Kim told me that she read 'The Kite Runner' in one day. Incredible!

     
  • At 17/6/07 12:26 PM, Blogger Me said…

    The more you read, the faster you get...

     
  • At 23/7/07 12:04 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    It's not directly related to this (which I'm planning to read next, as I say), but have you ever read any Neil Gaiman? He's not literature, I suppose, in that you won't find him on any English reading lists (I don't think), but he is the most fantastic story teller. I'd point you in the direction of "American Gods" as being my favourite, but his 2 collections of short stories or his (short-ish) book and soon to be major motion picture "Stardust" is also excellent.

    have I already raved about him to you before? I think I might have done. The Sandman graphic novel series is also worth a look.

    It's not Steinbeck, but they are very entertaining reads. He's a blogger too, incidentally.

    ST

     
  • At 26/7/07 9:52 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    Oh, and I need someone to read "Stone Junction" by Jim Dodge too. I thought it was brilliant, but can't find anyone else who has read it who can corroborate. Apart from anything else, it taught me that you have to swear at chilis when you grow them if you want them to have "temper".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home