Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Good, The Bad and......Davina McCall (who definitely isn’t Ugly)

Whilst watching the final of Celebrity Big Brother last week it dawned on me that when I am in Australia I am going to miss Davina McCall. I’ve always been a fan, ever since the glory days of God’s Gift in the early 90’s. And that got me thinking about what else I am going to miss when I am in Australia. And that in turn got me thinking about what I am looking forward to in Australia, and so on. So here are my thoughts (in no particular order).....

Things I am going to miss in the UK:
Friends, Family, Football (watching and playing), Eastenders, Roast Dinners, Cider, decent Tea (I have recently become a big fan), Brighton, Brighton & Hove Albion FC, Bristol, Bristol City FC, Davina McCall, Long summer evenings, Ashton Court Festival, Bristol Balloon Fiesta, the smell of freshly mown grass in spring, Watching the World Cup with my mates (and other England fans), Listening to Chris Moyles in the morning, the new TV Presenter on Points West (I think I must be getting old!).

Things I am not going to miss in the UK:
Being cold, It being dark when I get up in the morning, It being dark when I leave work, Cold wet driving rain, Bristol waterfront on a Monday morning (avoiding the bloodstains), Bristol City Centre on a Saturday night, Rising Damp, Damp that doesn't appear to have risen from anywhere, the boring walk to and from work, Broadmead and The Galleries, The Mall, Cribbs Causeway, Elizabeth Duke beauties, Telewest, the price of Beer and Cider.


Things I am looking forward to in Australia:
Sunshine, Surfing, Scuba Diving, Snorkelling, Swimming, Beautiful beaches, Sea water you can see through, Schooners, Stubbies, Palm Trees, New Years Eve in Sydney, Watching The Ashes (either in the SCG or watching it on a big screen), Playing cricket (something I have only ever done once, caught and bowled second ball), Not taking my camera to the Opera House and Circular Quay, Watching Sydney FC, Buying 4 litres of wine for $10 (~£4), Cans of Bourbon and Coke, Bottle Shops, Slabs of beer, Happy Hour in the Orbit Bar, Eating Kangaroo, Shark and Crocodile (and cheap and tasty lamb), Beetroot in my burgers, Concerts in the Botanical Gardens, Not sleeping for a month and watching the World Cup with Australia fans (and English backpackers and other Expats), Living in shorts (well, when I am not at work anyway), Walking around barefoot (again, when I am not at work), Listening to Chris Moyles in the evening, Going on holiday to places like Asia, New Zealand and Fiji, Meeting Steve Irwin and Rex Hunt (hopefully), Living in Sydney, Getting out of Sydney and exploring, Having friends and family over to visit, Becoming an Aussie, Catching up on news via MSN and Skype, Hanging out with Mr Skinner.

Things I am not looking forward to in Australia:
Having to wear suntan lotion, Getting sand in my trainers (it's thongs all the way!!), Spiders, H's reaction to cockroaches.

It’s going to be interesting to see whether or not I miss any of the things I think I will, or not get to do, or enjoy the things, I am looking forward to. I'll get back to you in due course!

8 Comments:

  • At 3/2/06 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jonny
    I like your reference to the smell of new mown grass.It smells even better when you are actually cutting it.But hang on a minute you have never experienced that !!!!!

     
  • At 3/2/06 6:41 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Haha..very cheeky.

    You know I did it at least once....hang on, I remember, I broke the lawn mower ;-)

     
  • At 3/2/06 9:11 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Fair point H, me too (but it will nice to have both passports).

     
  • At 4/2/06 12:13 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Hello. Just caught up with my emails and saw that you have finally done the right thing and started a blog. It'll be a pleasure to watch your hits counter soar above mine in a matter of weeks, because you'll actually write something regularly... You must be very excited by it all now. Make the most of the last couple of weeks in England. You might find you actually miss driving rain when it's gone...

    Good luck with everything and well done on a very nicely designed blog!

    Mikey x

     
  • At 5/2/06 10:39 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Sorry Mike - I guess I should have given it a bit more thought. Hope you aren't offended that I have stolen your thunder........

    Nice to hear from you - it's been a while ;-)

    Are they working you hard at school?

     
  • At 7/2/06 12:17 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Oh yes... just had an inspection... all over now, so am now struggling to motivate myself to do anything...

     
  • At 8/2/06 8:19 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    How about motivating yourself enough to get tickets to come over and see me and H in Sydney (the 5th Test starts on January 2nd)?

     
  • At 10/2/06 6:28 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Oi Oi Oi!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home