Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Monday, May 15, 2006

Setting Up Home

H and I picked up the keys to our flat last Monday (8th) and we haven't really stopped sorting the place out since. In fact I don't think I have ever worked so hard. Having spent the first few days here in temporary, budget accommodation we were very relieved to be moving out into our own place. As you can see from the pictures below, we barely had any room to move as any spare floor space had been taken up with stuff for the new place. And beer.





























The lease started on Tuesday and as soon as we had dropped all of our stuff off at the flat we went and picked up a van we had hired for the day. My driving licence is still in the UK so H was the sole driver and did a great job as we tore our way around the streets of Sydney visiting various furniture places. Most of our time was spent in IKEA - in fact I have been there three times in the last week, and it is an hour and a half away from home by public transport (ferry and train). The last visit was on Friday (12th). I had been building a flat-pack bed and was doing a great job, even if I say so myself (I do not do DIY), when I noticed the bed was missing a mid-beam. Now it is in the shop assistant's remit to make sure we had all the parts before leaving the store on the Tuesday, but as we were the last customers to leave, after the store had closed, I don't think they could be arsed to go through the trolley and two pallet jacks worth of stuff to check. Stupidly I had thought a $20 mid-beam would have been included in the flat-pack boxes! So I had to go back.

By the end of Tuesday I had bought half of IKEA, a fridge-freezer, a TV and a digital receiver (I had been worried about not being able to get a reception in the front room but didn't realise that digital is over here so it is no problem at all...thank God for SBS who showed the UEFA Cup Final and the FA Cup Final, and who are showing the European Cup Final this week as well as all 64 games of the World Cup - I watched the FA Cup Final with H and Will, who both fell asleep for the penalties. I do have to ask the question why Bobby Z took his penalty with his left foot?). I had also bought a sofa from a furniture place. It was on the shop floor and I had been told that it had been treated with "Scott Guard". I asked the guy how I knew it had been treated with Scott (Scotch!!) Guard. He disappeared, then came back with a bottle of water and poured it over it. Sold!

There was only one place to put everything...on the floor!















The flat had been leased to us as a two-bedder but we have turned it into a sweet one bedder. The lounge is at the front of the flat, and it has, as Will described it, "the best balcony in Sydney" all around it. The view is stunning.















Even when it rains.....















Anyway, to cut a very long week short, we have been very busy lifting and shifting and building stuff. I don't think I have ever come so close to busting my back, but by Saturday (13th) arvo we were ready to finally unpack the backpacks, and that was a great feeling. We rewarded ourselves with a walk along the beach - I hadn't been on the beach up until that point. Will came over in the evening and we ate great steak, drank wine and watched the footy. All three of us hired surfboards yesterday and went for a surf which was great fun before heading into the City and enjoying Sunday afternoon drinks in Darling Harbour (I'd best not mention the terrible IMAX 3D film that Will suggested we all watch before hand). It is nice being able to walk to the beach, and see where you live from the surf.

So, after nearly two weeks here we have come a long way and can now start beginning to enjoy what Sydney has to offer. I found the whole "setting up home" business a bit overwhelming. I didn't enjoy looking for the big things like beds or the sofa but didn't mind getting the smaller, more fun things, like a TV or running around the IKEA warehouse with a yellow bag, throwing things in. H has done a great job choosing what to buy and although we are not home owners, we now own just about everything needed to go into one. And that feels preety bloody good. Now all we need to do is find jobs, although I am in no rush. I plan to take the World Cup month off.

5 Comments:

  • At 15/5/06 10:09 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Glad you've got yourselves nicely settled in, Jonny. The view looks good, although I'm a bit confused: didn't you go all that way to get away from the rain?

    Glad that you've not stopped being a whinging Pom yet: a mere week of lifting a few bits of furniture up is enough for you to say you don't think you've "ever worked so hard".

    Lucky you've got the luxury of having the next two months off, then, isn't it?!

     
  • At 15/5/06 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    reminds me of when you lived at home Mum xx

     
  • At 15/5/06 9:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    nice! what a lovely all weather view !I can't believe west ham lost on saturday.. gutted...

     
  • At 15/5/06 11:15 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    I have to say, apart from the cross-town journeys to IKEA, it does all sound pretty great...especially being able to see your own pad from the surf...nice!

    I can just picture your FA cup final experience now...listening to H & Will chatting away about everything apart from the football...must have been a relief when they fell asleep ;)

    What a goal though. I don't remember ever shouting "OH MY GOD!" quite as loud as that before. Bring on the World Cup!

     
  • At 18/5/06 1:27 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Yeah, it was a cracking Cup Final, as was this mornings Euro Final. Thought Arsenal were very unlucky and Terry Henry's comments at the end were brilliant, although the Australian panel were rather upset by them (what do they know anyway?). And they thought Andy Gray's commentary was bias......ha ha, surely not!! (we get Martin and Andy commentating luckily). The sunrise over the ocean was great though.

    As for the tough week, well this week has been a lot better. I went surfing again yesterday and am buying my own board + boogie boards + wetsuits today I think. Oh, and I set up a phone line and ordered internet connection..fingers crossed it goes through.

    And regarding the weather..its Autumn, clear skies and 23 degrees.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home