Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Friday, June 23, 2006

Czech Republic 0 Italy 2

In a radical change of "World Cup viewing" tactics, I decided to go to bed at 9pm last night, and get up at 11.30pm, in time for half an hours build-up before this game kicked off. Depending on the outcome of this game I could well be staying up all night to watch the Ghana / USA game (which is shown at 2am) before the big crunch game of the night when Australia play Croatia at 5am.

So off I went to bed looking forward to a couple of hours kip before starting my Friday before Thursday had even finished. The alarm set, I read a chapter or so of Book Four (which has suddenly gone very dark!) before going to sleep.

The next thing I know it's 1.15am. I'd slept through my alarm. I don't even remember it going off. For a split second I thought about bailing and going back to sleep for another three hours or so. But no, it's the Czechs vs Italy. With so much at stake I'd be foolish to risk missing the last half an hour. Especially as it also meant I would miss the Ghana game. So I forced myself up in one of those potential heart-attack moments, where your body has been nice and relaxed and then all of a sudden you are on your feet and putting the kettle on.

I made my way to "World Cup Corner", put the TV on and saw the score was currently 1-0. Excellent news, that means the Czechs would have to go all out for the last half an hour. Alas not. What a load of crap. Italy doing what they do best, and defend a 1-0 lead by sticking everyone behind the ball (hardly surprising really but dull to watch). I found out after a while that the Czechs were down to 10 men. And of course they scored on the break.

I hope the Socceroos put the Italians out in the next round.

Isn't it wierd how your body wakes up sometimes because it knows you should be doing something? If I hadn't woken up randomly at 1.15am maybe I would have slept right through until H's alarm goes off at 7am. Then I would've missed the Socceroos game, which would have been gutting.

Come on Ghana!

2 Comments:

  • At 23/6/06 3:48 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I thought the Czechs were pretty unlucky to be knocked out, to be honest. That red card was gutting for them. They played much better than us in the tournament and got knocked out while we won our group.

     
  • At 23/6/06 5:10 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Red card?

    I missed that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home