Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Monday, May 22, 2006

Settling In

Well compared to the madness of our first week in the flat, last week was relatively calm. Having put up all the bits of furniture we had bought we were left more or less in limbo as we were waiting for our shipment to be delivered by the shippers (and it still hasn't arrived although the latest news is that it is being delivered tomorrow, which means another week of living around and out of cardboard boxes). But it did mean I had time to get on with other things, like getting my Medicare and Tax File Numbers which were in the bag that got half inched in Bolivia. Oh, and I bought and read a book. Yes. A book. And get this. In the space of five days I had finished it. Mind you, some may say it is a children's book. I really enjoyed it though. And having travelled around South America without one (apart from the Anthony Keidis book which I began to read after H had finished it, and then it got knicked), I made it a challenge to myself to try and read more when I got to Australia. So as you can see, I have got off to a flyer. And I have now started my second book. Mikey Roberts will be pleased.

Anyway, another challenge of the week was to buy myself and H some surfing attire. And I succeeded here as well. Kind of. By the end of the week I hadn't bought a surfboard (ok, perhaps that is the most important part of surfing equipment) but I had rinsed the bank cards and bought both H and myself a quality wetsuit each (top of the range, naturally, and because they are relatively cheap over here) as well as a boogie board each. I hadn't intended to get myself one of these but shopping over here is great. The more you spend, the cheaper everything is, so it would have been daft not to buy myself one. And flippers (scuba divers take note, fins are the things that go on the back of surfboards, not on your feet), and flipper boots. And leashes. We look the part in our spandex. I had made some enquires about getting a surfboard and was told that I didn't need a big 8'6" board, which was a surpise to me as I am a beginner and beginners usually start on huge boards. "You'll be fine on a 7'6"' mate" the guy in one of the shops said. I got the fear. To help me make up my mind, on Wednesday (17th) I hired an 8' board and went for a surf. I caught about 3 waves, or rather the white water that they create, and this gave me the confidence to at least decide that I could learn on one of them.
I then had to decide what board to buy. Should I go for a cheaper board made by the surfers who work in the shop just down the road from us, or a slightly more expensive, old skool Rip Curl beauty? I'm not the best at making many decisions so this played on my mind for a while.

Last week I also made the conscious effort to try and get fit again. 10 weeks backpacking has taken it's toll on the old fitness so I decided to start running. I managed to run along the beach on two separate occasions. You have to start somewhere I suppose. I should really be doing it every day.

Another highlight of the week was sorting out our telephone line and ordering ADSL internet. Fingers crossed, it should be up and running next week. And now that we have a landline you can call us if you like.

Even more of a highlight was getting up at 4.30am on Thursday (18th) to watch the European Cup Final. Ok, Arsenal were unlucky I guess (
although Lehmann should've known better) but I am sure every Gooner would rather have Terry for another 4 years than their hands on the cup for a year. I can't see he would have stayed if they had won it. We are treated to the joys of Andy Gray and Martin Tyler on the SBS coverage over here. One of the Aussie panelists said that he was very unhappy with Andy Gray's bias-ness......ha ha, I loved it. And that his comments about the referee, Et'o and Ronaldinho were disgraceful. Brilliant.

Anyway, this weekend was quality. H and I went for a couple of drinks in Circular Quay on Friday night. Now this may be the first time I post pictures of these little beauties but it certainly won't be the last.





























On Saturday (20th) H and I were invited by Will to go to the Surry Hills festival. When I was last here all it consisted of was a couple of road blocks, lots of hay bails and street performers. Now it has taken over the whole of Prince Alfred Park. It went on from 9-5. We arrived at 5 (we'd had a lazy day in Manly). Even though it was finishing when we arrived, we met Will and were introduced to quite a few of his mates. Our social circle was growing (thanks Will). From there we went drinking in Surry Hills and then to a House Party in Darlinghurst. It was a top night and everyone was really friendly and took time out to chat to the two if us. The tequilla and goon helped, I'm sure. We crashed at Wills, and then made the mission back to Manly for a couple of hours on Sunday (21st) morning for some r'n'r before heading over to Bondi that evening. Whilst back home we went for a swim. It was a bit parky in just boardies but all thoughts of being cold disaappeared when lots of seagulls started bombing the water next to us. Suddenly this school of fish jumped out of the water, closely followed by a PENGUIN!!! It was unbelievable. Rather obviously I have never had a penguin darting around my feet before, and it was great to see. It's things like that that make this place so good.

And that takes us to Sunday evening. We headed over to Bondi where one of our new chums, Vans, made us and a few others a roast dinner. Oooh, it tasted so good. It's been a long time since we have eaten a meal like that. And the view from her balcony is sweet, overlooking Bondi. It was just a shame I got there 5 minutes too late to see what really happened in the photo shoot that was going on on a roof top a few streets down.

When I woke up this morning I had pretty much made my mind up about what surfboard to get, so I went out and bought it. Yep, I now own a rather nice old skool surf board. Once I'd got it there was only one thing for it...to get out in the surf. I kind of stood up a couple of times but more often than not I'd be too tired to push myself up. It's bloody hard work paddling all the time. Still, it should get easier with practice.

We will probably be pretty busy again this week, especially when the shipment arrives tomorrow, and it will take a while trying to get everything sorted. I dare say we'll be back to IKEA at some point to buy some shelves. Great!

Finally, many congratulations to Jonny Bonnett who got married to Lauren on Friday (19th). I was thinking of you both, and I hope the day went really well. I'm really sorry that I missed it. All the best for your future together.

8 Comments:

  • At 22/5/06 10:52 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    Sounds like you're settling in nicely. Is surfing going to replace football then?

    Thanks for clarifying the difference between a flipper and a fin, although I think Sam might disagree with you, as I got mocked by him in Egypt for saying 'flippers' to refer to the things that you attach to your feet. I do hope you're right!

    Much as I'd love to call you on your land-line, I might just have to wait until you're online and it's free...

    By the way, books that win a "children's fiction prize" are usually children's books. Still, good effort...

     
  • At 23/5/06 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fins and flippers are what divers and kids put on their feet.

     
  • At 24/5/06 1:47 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Haha, well when I bought my stuff I said I needed some fins to put on my feet to go boogie boarding, and I was told that, when surfing, fins are the things that go on the bottom of the board, and flippers are what go on your feet.

    Having scuba dived, I thought fins were what you put on your feet.

    I didn't realise there would be so much confusion.

    Yep Andy, it was a cracking effort, although H finished the book in about three days.

    Hope to be online next Tuesday, otherwise email me your landline number and we could call yuo sometime..the phone cards over here are cheap cheap, something like 0.5c a minute to England.

     
  • At 25/5/06 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Howdy kids, just spent an hour trying to catch up on your escapades, still got loads to read. Looks like you are settling into the dream, dead happy for you both. Sorry i keep missing you on MSN you seem to pop up and say hi as Im leaving my desk or just as my boss leans over my shoulder to ask me why im a useless plank...

    Right, practical things for your audience(primarily the jobless student types such as Andy). To call H&J in Aus at the bargain rate of 1p per minute see the following link...

    http://www.telediscount.co.uk/

    No setup needed just gives you a predial number, Aus is 1p a minute at the moment. I used to ring my sister on it when she was over there, works a treat....

    There's also Skype - better than MSN for voice - free software - skpe to skype is free or Skype to landline is £0.012 per minute...bargain.

    OK geeky stuff endeth.

    Nice pad, watch out for Sharks and killer Penguins. Hope you are both as happy as clams at high water.

     
  • At 25/5/06 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Howdy kids, just spent an hour trying to catch up on your escapades, still got loads to read. Looks like you are settling into the dream, dead happy for you both. Sorry i keep missing you on MSN you seem to pop up and say hi as Im leaving my desk or just as my boss leans over my shoulder to ask me why im a useless plank...

    Right, practical things for your audience(primarily the jobless student types such as Andy). To call H&J in Aus at the bargain rate of 1p per minute see the following link...

    http://www.telediscount.co.uk/

    No setup needed just gives you a predial number, Aus is 1p a minute at the moment. I used to ring my sister on it when she was over there, works a treat....

    There's also Skype - better than MSN for voice - free software - skpe to skype is free or Skype to landline is £0.012 per minute...bargain.

    OK geeky stuff endeth.

    Nice pad, watch out for Sharks and killer Penguins. Hope you are both as happy as clams at high water.

     
  • At 26/5/06 1:13 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks very much Chris, and it's nice to know you have taken time out from your busy schedule to catch up on the blog.

    No worries about missing you on MSN, there'll be plenty more opportunities so long as our ADSL connection goes in next week.

    Andy..please take note. We'll be waiting for that call :-)

     
  • At 27/5/06 12:01 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Great stories. I thought penguins liked the cold?

    Well done on the reading front, Jonny. Sure, it's a children's book, but it's brilliant nonetheless.

    What's your second book?

    If you like children's books that adults also read, you could do a lot worse than reading Holes by Louis Sachar.

    As you intimated, Mikey Roberts is pleased...!

    Glad you went for an old skool surf board in the end. Style is the most important thing, after all.

     
  • At 29/5/06 1:20 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Oh yes, it certainly is. You have to look the part, even if I don't when I am in the water, getting battered by the waves.

    I'm glad you approve of the book. I am now reading a "thriller" called Panic. It's a page-turner, that's for sure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home