Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Beach Volleyball

Ever since arriving here I'd quite fancied playing beach volleyball so recently I booked H and myself onto a three week Beginners course, running on Sunday mornings at 9am. Not only would it be a good excuse to get fit, but it would mean we wouldn't go out and get ruined on a Saturday night.

I was reminding myself of that fact at 8am this morning when I woke up wondering how the hell I'd got home last night. What had supposed to be a quiet night in turned into a bit of a goon-drinking session at a house party in the City. Still, waking up to weather like this on a winter's day sure helps the hangover, even though I think I was still a little bit drunk.















So H and I left the house just before 9am and made our way along the beach to the courts. As you can see, H was up for it and raring to go.















The first lesson was good fun. We learnt how to serve (underarm), "dig" and "set" the ball and I seemed to spend most of the lesson diving around in the sand. I thought I'd broken one of my toes at one point. It was a great way to spend a Sunday morning, honest! I think it was the earliest I have had to get up since I have been here.















It was a bit sore on the arms and legs but I'm sure we'll get used to it. It looks really easy when you watch other people playing it but it is pretty tough. At the end of the lesson we were both chuffed that we had made the effort to do something like this.

We are still in winter here but the temperature today was around 20 degrees, which was a beauty. I've noticed a lot more bikini's around, and there are some surfers in the ocean without wetsuits on. It goes without saying then, that the best thing about beach volleyball is this.....















I can't wait for summer.

4 Comments:

  • At 13/8/06 11:58 AM, Blogger RJL said…

    Yeah right..don't think I would find it too hard to wake up at 8 in the morning to play volleyball..this would have nothing to do with the blonde girl in hotpants!

    Deary me...I am shallow.

     
  • At 15/8/06 12:05 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    Yes, for some reason I'd always though of beach volleyball as more of a spectator sport. Good effort though.

    Have you followed up any football or cricket team opportunities yet?

     
  • At 15/8/06 9:50 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I might be up for watching a few games at Christmas, Jonny.

    That's a bit of a cheeky photo, isn't it?

     
  • At 15/8/06 9:08 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I haven't followed up on any cricket or football opportunities just yet Andy - I'm having way too much fun on the beach.

    Yeah Mikey it is a bit of a cheeky one, and I am sure you will enjoy watching when you next come over. But by then you may be able to play.

    Damo - you should see the mullett!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home