Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Friday, July 28, 2006

The Pylon Lookoutâ„¢

On Tuesday Mike and I went up the Pylon Lookout, which is part of the magnificent Harbour Bridge.

I love the Harbour Bridge. If there was a choice between the Opera House and the Bridge, the bridge gets my vote every time. I love the Opera House but I love the Bridge that little bit more.











































To get to the Pylon (which is just behind Mike in the picture above) you have to climb up a lot of steps, not just in the Pylon, but also as you go up to the bridge via The Rocks. Given that Mike is recovering from traumatic knee surgery I was delighted to tell him that he had climbed 388 steps as he reached the summit.





























The Pylon is 89 metres above sea level and the view is stunning. It's the fourth time I have been up there and I never get tired of it. Whenever more people come to visit it is one of the things that H and I will take them to see.





















































































I have never done the Bridge Climb before. To be honest, I never really saw the need to what with the Pylon giving you such a great view anyway, but the more and more I see people up there the more I think I should do it, especially now I live here. The summit is 134 metres above the water.

























































After going up the Pylon it was clearly Beer o'clock. We drank in a bar in the CBD whilst waiting for H to turn up after work. Whilst there we entered ourselves into their weekly pub quiz. I forgot how much fun they can be. We came third and didn't win anything.

3 Comments:

  • At 30/7/06 12:01 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Looks lovely. Did you count those steps yourself, Jonny?

    Was 'Magnus Seamills' one of the pub quiz answers, by any chance?

     
  • At 30/7/06 11:52 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I did count them all myself, without telling Mike at the time. I didn't want to scare him off, but he must've wondered what I was doing when he treid chatting to me as we climbed and I was ignoring him. It's very hard counting and talking at the same time.

    No Magnuss Seamills this time round I'm afraid.

     
  • At 2/8/06 1:09 PM, Blogger Me said…

    I can't believe you remember the name of the fictional fiction author I once dreamt about. There was no karoke round either, nor was there a dwarf who I tripped up. Mercifully.

    I was quite relieved when we got to the top and Jonny told me how many steps there were. I thought he'd started talking to himself or something.

    I tell you, that view is an absolute beauty.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home