Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Thank You Mr Michael

Mr Michael has now left Australia, having headed back 'home' to Singapore for a week before flying back 'home' to England for three weeks.

It's been brilliant having him here. Because I am still 'between jobs' I have been able to spend most of my time with Mike, except for those occasions when I have been summoned into the City to be interviewed by one recruitment agency or another. It's been the perfect excuse to get out and about and see more of this City.

H and I do miss our friends back home and it's been nice being able to talk to Mike about it, now that he is an old-hand at being an expat. It's also been handy having him around as I have had someone to enjoy the odd game of Pro-Evo 5 with (usually in the early hours of the morning). We finished the winter season level, having both won 45 games each (90 10 minute games of Pro-Evo in just over two weeks isn't bad going, and thats not including the hack-fest which got abandoned after I was left with 6 players on the pitch - Mike was down to 7). It's all set up nicely for the summer season at Christmas time.

Anyway, Thursday night was his last night here and we all decided to spend his last night in The Rocks, which is one of the oldest, if not the oldest part of Sydney (it claims to be home to the oldest pub here, The Fortune Of War). We wanted to take Mike there so he could enjoy a proper pub atmosphere. They don't have them in Singapore. Just trendy bars.

We started the night in The Orient.














Before going for an Italian.














And then for drinks, and pokies, in The Fortune Of War.




























From there it was a short walk to Circular Quay.














Where we got the last ferry back to Manly.














It wasn't long before the beer had taken it's toll and we had fallen asleep.




























And I had another David Gray moment.














During his time in Sydney Mike and I developed an healthy passion for Subway, in particular the foot-long Italian BMT (we had no idea what the BMT bit stood for). We ate them as often as we could. At one stage Mike had one of these for four days on the bounce. And I don't doubt I could polish two off in one go. It therefore seemed fitting that our last meal should be the BMT, from our regular Subway in Manly Wharf.

































Thanks for being such a fantastic guest Mr Michael. See you at Christmas.

10 Comments:

  • At 30/7/06 11:53 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    How very cultured - Subway for your last meal. I'm dissapointed in you guys.

    More cracking photos though, I particularly like the ones of H, who isn't even trying to look enthusiastic about the fingers pose any more. Also, Jonny really does look incredibly orange, up against Mike.

     
  • At 30/7/06 5:01 PM, Blogger RJL said…

    Yeah, nice photos.

    Did no one fancy some "pokies" upstairs then? What on earth is that?

     
  • At 30/7/06 11:58 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    That is what they call a tan, Andy. And a winter, wetsuit one at that!

    Rich - Pokies are essential fruit machines. All the pubs here have Pokie rooms for the gambling addicts. They serve complimentary food in there to keep the punters happy. Nice GB lycra photo by the way.

     
  • At 31/7/06 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't believe you've found your way to the shoulder of another man, David Gray will be most upset you've replaced him so easily.

     
  • At 31/7/06 10:28 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Haha. It was a hard choice. Mikes shoulder or the inside of the ferry (or risk chronic neck pain from trying to rest the side of my head on my own shoulder for too long, which I am doing in the first two sleeping pictures).

    I was thinking of David at the time though, honest.

     
  • At 1/8/06 4:03 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    I take my hat off to your epic pro evo sessions. respect (did Mike score many comedy own goals by turning his 'keeper round and leathering it into his own net? He's not alone - I can never resist doing that at some point either. Or using a wood on the green in tiger woods. Sometimes it just has to be done.)

    Quality finger work in the photos too.

    ST

     
  • At 1/8/06 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gutted, jilted for an older man. Pervert

     
  • At 2/8/06 1:21 PM, Blogger Me said…

    First - sorry it's so late - I've moved house so have no internet.

    Second - thanks J and H - I had an absolute ripper and you were brilliant hosts. x x

    Third - Andy - we were in Australia remember, so Subway is pretty cultured.

    Fourth - Anyone looks orange when they stand next to me. Despite two years on the equator, I'm still sometimes whitewashed by mistake if I stand next to a wall for too long.

    Fifth - I'm not trying to usurp the original David Gray, Em and Chris, honest. No need for jealousy. As you can see from Jonny's (somewhat hurtful) reponse, I was only ever slightly more comfortable than metal to him anyway. Sorry to davey g, and thanks for drawing attention to my age.

    ST - After our hackathon, it all got a bit too serious to score comedy own goals on purpose. The longer it went on, the more important it became not to lose.

     
  • At 3/8/06 12:39 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks for posting ST. Being one of the founding members of CUAS I thought you'd appreciate a spot of Pro-Evo. But as Mike said, it did get a little too serious at times. We discovered the joy of randomising the teams with no changes to formation or player line-ups. I think my finest hour was when Northern Ireland whooped his Portuguese ass 2-0.

    Mike - I'm glad you finally managed to catch up. Of course your shoulder was comfortable. Honest.

     
  • At 6/8/06 10:47 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    Your Northern Ireland triumph reminds me of the greatest goal I ever scored in Pro Evo. It was a real beauty, an over the shoulder, running, swinging volley. In slo-mo you could watch the player as he tracked the ball in and swung his boot past the hapless goalkeeper.

    The player who scored this magical and never to be forgotten goal?

    John Hartson for Wales.

    No. I don't know why I was playing as Wales either.

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home