Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Book Twenty Eight

Finally Book Twenty Eight is complete.

I put myself into Book Reading exile for a couple of weeks as I went and stayed with some friends closer to the city. This meant I had a shorter commute, and coupled with the fact that this book is nearly 500 pages long, well it just took me a while.

When I first started it I only managed to grab a few pages here and there. That 'style' may work for some books, but definitely not for this. When I moved back to Manly I definitely broke it's back as I ploughed my way through 40 pages or so a day.

Anyway, this books is another classic. Being a bit of a reading novice I had never even heard of it. I only found it because Khaled Hosseini, the author of Book Twenty Six, said that this was his favourite contemporary book. Having loved Book Twenty Six, I thought I'd give his recommendation a go (mind you, he also recommends Book Twenty Seven and I am still trying to get my head around that one).


I knew I had a bit of a challenge on my hands as soon as it began. Reading text written in mid-western American took a bit of getting used to. But I added another reading talent to my rapidly increasing repertoire (and what a great use of that word eh!) as I soon found myself reading like George Dubble Yah talks. Actually, that's not a talent at all is it (although I actually think he is from the deepest, darkest South, but its close enough for my analogy)? Anyway, I digress. I found myself really getting into this book and enjoyed it more with each page.

It tells the hopeless story of a migrant family, driven out of their farm by drought and economic hardship, who head west in search of a better life. I haven't ever read anything like this before. It may sound pretty dull but it's not at all and the final scene is very disturbing. Maybe it's the kind of text that sits in an English departments Book cupboard, maybe not? Mike.....?

It won the Nobel Prize for Literature as well, so I guess that means it must be good.

It is.






5 Comments:

  • At 18/7/07 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well its one of my all time favourites, a story about humanity

    Glad you read it

    jenny McGrath

     
  • At 19/7/07 9:05 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Only ever read Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, which is a good deal shorter (just over 100 pages). The Grapes of Wrath film is meant to be brill - I think it came out in 1939 and it won Oscars.

     
  • At 23/7/07 11:54 AM, Blogger swisslet said…

    I adored this book. I was expecting it to be really difficult, but it is just a joy. Thought-provoking, moving and very absorbing.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Thanks to Mike, incidentally, book 26 is next up on my list, assuming C. hasn't finished Harry Potter by the tie I finish "The Master" by Colm Toibin.


    ST

     
  • At 24/7/07 10:23 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    So that's three ticks all round then. I'm rather pleased.

    Jenn - thanks for posting. I think H wants to read this one next and your comment could be the deal clencher.

    Mike - I reckon you should give it a go. I think you'll like it.

    ST - Oh, Book Twenty Six. I'm looking forward to hearing what you've got to say about it. Mike has a lot to answer for. He comes up with some cracking recommendations! As for Grapes, I too was expecting it to be a tough one but it seemed to get easier the more I got into it, and I really didn't want it to end.

     
  • At 26/7/07 9:50 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    I lied. I haven't finished "The Master" yet, and I'm reading my second book on Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France inside a fortnight. Gripping.

    Still. I'll get to 26 soon.

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home