Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Shippers

I was going to right this yesterday but it got bumped because I went to my last Wednesday night kickabout and then the pub. It’s not a very interesting post anyway.

I think it was back in November that I booked the
shippers. I had decided to invite two companies out to give us a quote. Both of them had good reputations but one had a reputation of being one of the most expensive in the trade. So out they came. One of the salesmen was a salesman through and through. He’d “been in the game” (no, not that kind of game) for 30 years so gave us the talk that he probably does 5 times a day as he drives around the country. After walking around the house and making a note of the items to be packed he gave us the estimated volume. When he said it we were pretty shocked. We’d measured the stuff up ourselves and it had come in at less than half what he had quoted.

The second salesman from the cheaper company turned up that afternoon. He didn’t give us the hard sale. Instead he just went round the house with his laptop and came back to use with a much more reasonable estimate (and a much cheaper quote).

Needless to say we plumped for the cheaper option, thinking that the more expensive company wouldn’t tell us if our shipment was actually less than they had quoted.

Anyway, the shippers arrived yesterday and took our stuff away. Over the last couple of days H and I had moved everything into one room to make it easy for them. And as far as I could tell they did a good job – and the original estimate seemed pretty accurate. Let’s just hope it all gets to Sydney safely.

It’s a relief getting this part of the move out of the way. With three more days to go we are now more or less living out of a backpack.

I have been so busy this week that I haven’t had much time to think abut what we are about to do. We’ve still got a lot of stuff to do around the house before we leave it on Sunday, and there is the small matter of our Leaving Party on Friday night. I don’t think we will be getting much sleep this weekend – but that may help me sleep on the flight.

Oh yeah, my Dad told me that Rolling Stones are playing a free gig on Copacabana Beach on Saturday night.

We don’t arrive until Monday.

1 Comments:

  • At 16/2/06 5:14 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    I wouldn't worry about that, they're probably gonna kark it on stage pretty soon anyway. Holding those instruments all evening can't be good for the arthritus either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home