Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Friday, June 02, 2006

Art on The Rocks

On Sunday (28th) H and I went to The Rocks to have a look around an Art Festival that was going on there. Now those of you who know me know that Art and I don't get on. I just don't get it. Trips to museums in Amsterdam, Barcelona and New York have only served to baffle me even more (and there was always a distinct lack of wine or champagne which would make the whole process a lot more bearable). But seeing as The Rocks is in one of the most spectacular settings in the World, and the festival was free, and it was a gorgeous Autumn day, I thought I'd check it out.

To be honest I actually enjoyed it, although that was probably because of the location and the weather. I can't see myself going to an Art Festival anywhere else. Looking at this view from the ferry, on the way to the festival, certainly helps the trip get off on the right foot.

















I don't really know what I am looking at when I look at an artists work. And I found it particularly strange why some of the artists, who obviously had drawn the best lot in the competition and were given a spot right on the waterfront, would paint something that isn't in front of them, like Circular Quay or The Opera House (if they don't paint what's in front of them, they should have stayed at home, right?). For example.

















I knew what this one was all about though. Check out the hat.















And the dungarees.....I think this guy has painted himself with very long arms.















Not only was the art being painted, but it was also being, erm, played, in the form of Jazz. Nice. Groovy.















H and I were questioned by a market research bod as we left the festival. When asked what could be done to improve the festival next year, I said "Rolf Harris".

So from The Rocks it was off to meet Will and Vans for Sunday afternoon beers in Darling Harbour. I ate pizza for dinner. Does anyone care to guess what the meat was? It was damn tasty.















This week has been pretty busy as well. H and I went to IKEA on Monday and bought a sofa bed and a wardrobe. Because we didn't hire a van this time, we had to arrange a delivery date (Wednesday 31st). On Tuesday (30th) I spent 5 hours in the flat waiting for our modem and internet connection to turn up. Needless to say it didn't. When I called the provider they explained it would be with me on Friday but clearly no-one had the foresight or the intelligence to let me, the customer, know. I'm just glad I didn't have to take any time off work to wait in. We went into town to meet Will on Tuesday evening. The plan was to see X-Men 3, but H and I missed the ferry we needed to catch by a matter of seconds (I'm sure it won't be the last one we miss either). So we went for beer instead, after food in Chinatown.

The rest of the time has been spent mooching around the flat (and putting together the said sofa bed and wardrobe) or in the water. I caught my first wave properly last Friday (26th) afternoon so that felt pretty good.

5 Comments:

  • At 2/6/06 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kangaroo? with dandelion? yummy

     
  • At 2/6/06 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    doner pizza, my favourate...

     
  • At 2/6/06 2:35 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Oh yes, it was Skippy.

     
  • At 3/6/06 1:44 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Jonny, that artist in the first photo was painting the view. It was just an abstraction of it, of course.

    Rolf Harris - nice gag. Can you tell what it is yet?

     
  • At 3/6/06 10:19 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks Mikey...you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would!) the number or times I cracked that one whilst wandering around. I don't think H was too impressed.

    Abstraction? Eh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home