Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, August 17, 2006

A: A Job

Yep, I was recently made a job offer to work in Marketing company in the city. It's an 8 month contract covering someone who is going off on maternity leave but I guess it could lead to something more permanent (or an extension) if I do a good job and a position becomes available. We'll see. For the moment it's nice being out of the job hunting market. Although the last six weeks have been fine it is nice when an offer comes in and it is for something you want to do. I had been quite picky with what I wanted to go for. There was always going to be a point when I would needed to have taken anything but I'm glad I kept pushing that deadline back and this opportunity came up. I'm still waiting to sign the contract but I should be doing that tomorrow.

The job is going to be a good challenge for me and although still within a marketing arena, it is slightly left-field from what I used to do in the UK. Of all the places I went to this company was the one that stood out. Any business with a nice wide-screen TV showing music channels in the reception area is all good by me - and rumours are that there is a break-out area with table football, pool and Foxtel! It's also in the same complex as two radio stations and a TV channel. It also means I will get the ferry to work, plus a short train ride and a walk (but I may look into getting a bike and cycling to the offices from Circular Quay). And the dress code is casual so I wont have to wear a suit on those boiling hot summer days.

I will be starting on the 28th so I've got next week off to relax and enjoy the winter. It was 25 degrees today, 7 above average. Hopefully there'll be more of the same next week.

3 Comments:

  • At 17/8/06 8:09 AM, Blogger RJL said…

    Nice one Jonny! Sounds like a pretty cool place and a good base to get to know other marketing peeps.

    Congrats!

     
  • At 17/8/06 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes. Congratulations on not being an unemployed bum anymore...!

     
  • At 17/8/06 9:44 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks very much.

    The company does seem really good and you never know with these things. If I do well then the contract could be extended, or the person on maternity leave may decide not to come back (or they may come back early!), or I may be able to apply for work in a different part of the business. For the time being though it'll be nice to have a crack at something slightly different from what I did in the UK.

    I'm going into town to sign the contract this morning.

    Looking for a job was always going to be the most difficult part of moving over here but it hasn't been too bad at all. Luckily I had some cash saved up which meant I could be picky. I'm sure it would have been a different story if I'd had to live off a credit card or overdraft whilst looking.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home