Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Spring (I)

September the 1st was the first day of spring here in Australia. It was 24 degrees then.

Yesterday was September the 2nd. It was the second day of spring and 27 degrees! Winner! And what a ripper of a day it was too, especially as it fell on a Saturday and I was crying out for the weekend after my first week at work.

So on Friday a few of us went out after work for beers in the City (Darlinghurst and The Cross). We got pretty smashed and H and I had to get the nighbus back to Manlyville. I forced myself up at about 9am yesterday with a shocker of a hangover and went for a surf. With dolphins! It was the perfect way to clear the headache away. I have never been a huge fan of sun-tan lotion but over here you'd be pretty stupid not to wear it, so before I went out I had to put some on. This was the first time I have had to do it since arriviving in May (although I probably should've put it on on a couple of other occasions) and it reminded me of being on holiday. It felt pretty sweet knowing that I live in a rather nice holiday destination. It was all good until the lotion ran into my eyes whilst surfing.

Anyway, after the surf I then spent a couple of hours mooching about in the sun down by the beach.

























































Beginners.
























































Earlier in the week H and I had met up with Kate, a girl I'd met at Vans's Leaving Drinks. She lives in Manly so we hooked up and enjoyed some mid-week beer. It's really important for H and I to try and build a network of chums on this side of the water and we got on really well with her. She invited us over to her place yesterday afternoon so we could meet some of her other pals. The plan was to spend the afternoon on the beach drinking, eating and playing games. Kate lives near the Eastern Hills which is a little walk from our place, via Manly Wharf.





























There are lots of cool little beaches dotted around Sydney Harbour and Kate took us to this one, which is in Manly, and only a short walk from her house. It's called 'Collins Beach' and I'd never seen it before. In fact I didn't even know it existed. Sydney always seems to come up trumps with little beauties like this.















It was a beautiful little beach and we enjoyed a spot of cricket on there. Everyone was on top form and enjoying the late afternoon sunshine (I forgot to take any pictures of people!).





























There's something rather special about an Australian sky. It seems to go on forever.















As the sun was setting we headed back to Kate's for a barbie. It was such a good day out and about and I reckon we'll be spending a few more afternoons on that beach. Everyone goes on about the summer over here, and if yesterday was a little prelude to what's to come, I cannot wait for it.

4 Comments:

  • At 3/9/06 12:32 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    There's not much you can say, except yes, it looks like a 'ripper' of a day (turning into a bloody Aussie already)

     
  • At 4/9/06 11:21 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    You got it Damo!

    Andy, I do find myself using words like 'ripper' and 'beauty' heaps, but only in an affectionate okka ozzie way.

    But luckily I haven't started saying "awesome" yet (like some of the ozzies at work. I was most disappointed when I heard it as I thought it was only used by annoying yanks). They also say "Gold" a lot, as it, "That's gold", meaning, "That's great". I haven't picked that one up yet, nor do I intend to.

     
  • At 5/9/06 12:11 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Mate, loving that sky... nothing quite like the sky, is there?

    In what way are you "not a huge fan of sun-tan lotion"? For a man who spends 20 minutes raking his gums with an interspace toothbrush, surely 2 minutes of "slop" can't be much of a challenge?

    Manly sure does look more inviting in Spring than it does in the middle of the freezing Winter.

     
  • At 6/9/06 10:37 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks Mike. I will bear those comments in mind. Actually I've been thinking that they need a good brush tonight. They feel slightly 'on edge'.

    As soon as you left the winter weather turned pretty good, honest. And I hear that it got pretty crappy in Blighty after you arrived. Sorry about that. I hope the summer here doesn't let you down, although I suspect you'll be sick of the hot weather and humidity by then.

    As I took the photo's of the sky I was thinking of you actually, as you always commented on how good it was when you were here (even when it was cloudy).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home