Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Book Twenty Nine

Ok, so this is Book Twenty Nine.....

I'm a bit lost for words to be honest. I haven't ever read anything like this before. Well, maybe American Psycho would be a distant cousin.

It only took me a couple of days to get through it but it could easily be completed in one sitting. I also bought Will a copy for his birthday last week. I can see it doing the rounds over here.

I’m not going to tell you what it's about (apart from it being about the average American male!), suffice to say you will laugh out loud, you will be shocked, you will be amused and you should be careful where you read it. The next time you are in Dymocks, WHSmiths or Borders pick yourself up a copy and read the first couple of chapters. I bet you buy it! Also check out the 'Acknowledgments' at the end – it's a nice touch.

On a completely separate note, how crazy is this whole Harry Potter thing? I walked into a bookshop on Saturday afternoon, after a bit of an all nighter in the city and Bondi, but had to leave almost straight away - it was too much to take in. I mean, shopkeepers dressed as wizards! Ok, I can understand the hysteria on Saturday but the same guy was wearing the same outfit on Sunday. Bonkers. I haven't yet read any of the books yet and really don't think I will. But now that I'm a bit of a book fan these days, maybe I should. What do you think?




4 Comments:

  • At 26/7/07 1:53 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Hmmm... sounds interesting...!

    As for Potter, I can't comment, I'm afraid: I read the first page of the first book about 8 years ago, then read the last page of the last book two days ago.

    I think I got the gist.

    Currently reading 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest': winner.

     
  • At 27/7/07 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Harry Potter is great I'm ashamed to say.Although I don't own any outfits.
    But I'd skip Harry and go for 'His dark materials' trilogy. These are sooo good and aimed at the slightly older child...:)

     
  • At 29/7/07 10:56 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    It sure is Mike, you should give it a go and let me know what you think.

    So Em, did you camp out overnight to get your hands on a copy of the book that you could've got your hands on if you just turned up at 9am? Did you try and avoid finding out what happened? Or did someone spoil it for you?

     
  • At 3/8/07 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this book is absolute filth ... i LOVE IT !!!

    (the average american male is quite a good book too)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home