Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Monday, June 12, 2006

My First Aussie Random!

Today is a public holiday in New South Wales. Why? Because it is the Queens Birthday apparently. It doesn't make much difference to me as I am not working at the moment. Anyway, unlike the rest of the weekend, today was gorgeous. Lots of blue skies and a big ocean swell. After I got up I crossed the road to the beach, and sat on the wall, where I continued reading my third book in the sunshine, which I am actually enjoying quite a lot now.

After a while of minding my own business this random Aussie fella decided to perch himself on the wall, a couple of yards away.

"You been out there mate? You look like you have." He said.
I must look like a surfer!
"No, the waves are too big for me today. I just learning". I replied.
I clearly don't sound like a surfer.

He then went on to tell me that he was hoping I had got a board he could borrow (he couldn't) or that someones "leggie" broke so that he could get a surf with their board. And failing that, he would go bodysurfing if some "deep tubes" came it. Fascinating I thought. Now please leave me alone. He didn't.

He was quite friendly though, and I'd already read a big chapter which was good going for me, so he wasn't interrupting my booktime. He then said that there was lots of plastic on the beach. I think he meant the rubbish. I actually couldn't see any because the council clean the beaches here every night. I actually told him this.

He then came out with a cracker,
"You'd think all the people who go to church on a Sunday wouldn't go one day, and spend their time cleaning the beach instead. Then they could ask for forgiveness. But Jesus is dead so its unlikely he will forgive them". An interesting point I thought.

By this time I was thinking about how I could make my excuses to leave and I didn't want this guy coming with me. After a few mintues of idle chat where I generally agreed with him to keep the peace, H appeared. She could tell he was a bit random. He then changed tangent.

"There are too many Chinese and Japanese mushroom heads here. I've had my run-ins with them. And I think there is probably a tunnel straight here from the Middle East".

I have no idea where he thinks China and Japan is.

"They were probably here with the Aboriginies before the Poms and they probably did the same in America as well". I'm not quite sure what they are supposed to have done with the Aborigines, or in America for that matter, and I wasn't in the mood to ask.

H suggested we leave. I agreed, we said our goodbyes, and left the random on the wall.

Andy - he sounds like one of yours.

5 Comments:

  • At 12/6/06 1:13 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Nah, most of 'mine' have got a lot more intelligence than that.

     
  • At 12/6/06 2:04 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Sound like they're the same everywhere to me. Well done for being so remarkably English and polite about it.

    What's book three?

     
  • At 12/6/06 3:23 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    You'll have to wait Mike, but I think you will be impressed. It's been a bit of a slow burner but I'm really enjoying it now.

    It'll be worthy of it's own post, that's for sure.

    As for being polite, well it's the best way to avoid getting drawn into these 'conversations' that just go on and on.

     
  • At 16/6/06 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reckon he was the other Brighton supporter who wanted a chat .... poor thing.

     
  • At 18/6/06 6:28 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Very good Mike, but I could definitely hear a subtle West Country accent in there :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home