Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Monday, June 12, 2006

Serbia & Montenegro 0 Holland 1 (Australia 34 England 3)

I missed the first half of this game because H and I went to the Olympic Stadium to watch Australia play England at Rugby Union. It's the second game of Rugby I have ever been to and I wasn't massively impressed. My attitude would probably have been a lot different it England had won, or at least scored a try that was allowed (I was out of my seat at one point, high fiving with another Pom - isn't that what rugby supporters do? - when we scored a try - it was then disallowed).

The Olympic Stadium a great stadium. It's huge. And you can drink beer in there. It's a shame that the atmosphere in it tonight was poor though. I heard one rousing rendition of Swing Low Sweet Chariot but that was as good as it got for the Poms. The Aussies on the other hand didn't sing anything. Ever. Not once.

You can't beat the set-up there as well. The ticket to the game covers all public transport costs and the service provided by CityRail is superb. They get you to and from the ground, and back into the City, with super efficiency. I guess that's one of the bonuses of living in an Olympic city. I wonder how London will fare?

The highlight of the evening though was hearing the French guy, who was sitting behind us, say "Sacre Bleu". It was something stright out of Tricolore folklore. Yes, the French do say it. H and I both looked at each other to reassure ourselves that we had actually heard it. It was as exciting as when I first heard an Aussie say "Fair dinkum" (and no, it wasn't Alf Stewart, it was a real person).

Anyway, here are some snaps;

























































As for the football game, I can't really comment on it as I was sat quite a way away from the TV screen in the pub. But I have just been told that Lineker said this to Ian Wright;

"...So Wrighty, do you fancy a bit of S&M?...."

Well someone had to say it didn't they?

3 Comments:

  • At 11/6/06 5:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Well it took 7 games but finally i recouped some of that cash back..

    Mexico 3-1 @ 14-1 ...lovely jubbly!

     
  • At 12/6/06 8:44 AM, Blogger Me said…

    You mean there are other sports going on at the moment?

    Gary's taking some risks these days, isn't he?

     
  • At 12/6/06 3:15 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Yeah, there are, although you have to look hard to find them!

    He is, but by all accounts he toned it down yesterday because of the slating him and Hansen etc gave to Sven.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home