Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, September 07, 2006

The IPOD (Generation?)

I've discovered something rather nice recently. Whilst making my way back to Manly after a hard day's work in the office I like to stick the old IPOD on and walk my way through a busy rush hour in the CBD with some quality tunes playing. Ok, Sydney isn't as busy as London (thankfully) but it's a damn sight busier than North Street in Bristol, which was the scene of my normal commute.

I've found it's the perfect way to unwind before I go onto the ferry and read my book (as if that isn't a perfect way itself - I think I am being greedy!). I've found that it puts me into a bit of a trance. It's pretty mental watching everyone rushing around as you walk along.

Of course, Mr Manuva's "Witness" is a particular favourite.

Anyway, I was thinking how good it made me feel earlier on today when I was on my way home and I thought I'd mention it.

I was wondering if any of you music lovers out there can suggest any good tracks that could be enjoyed during rush hour in a nice big city like this. Do share!

Oh, talking of music, H and I went to see Gomez earlier in the week. I have got three of their albums on my IPOD but I've never really got into them. I just seem to listen to the same couple of tracks occasionally (a bit like Roots Manuva really - I've only ever really listened to Witness but have three of his albums). Chris Cook used to play a lot of their stuff when we lived with him in Clifton. Will and H are big fans though, and although I left the gig early so as to make the last ferry back to Manly (H crashed at Wills), I did enjoy what I saw. Their lead singer has the most incredible voice.

11 Comments:

  • At 8/9/06 7:12 PM, Blogger Hel said…

    Lucky you going to see Gomez! i was once going to see them with a mate who gave me a free ticket, unfortunately i was still living at home back then and my parents wouldn't let me go to the gig. i'm not massively into them but i've always heard good stuff said about them, especially as a live band.
    I love the photos on your blog too, i've always wanted to go to australia, it looks great!

     
  • At 8/9/06 11:26 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    songs to listen to in rush hour? The first thing that popped into my head was Rage Against the Machine, but I'm not sure that's a good idea - there might just be bloodshed.

    I think it might be kind of cool listening to something extremely mellow. What about Nick Drake or Jose Gonzalez or something like that? Or something icy cool like a bit of Dusty Springfield?

    And if I may recommend, if you haven't already got it, dash out and buy "come on feel the illinoise" by Sufjan Stevens. It's a staggering album.

    ST

     
  • At 8/9/06 11:57 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks for posting Hel Fire - did you find my blog via ST's recommendation on his site? Yep - Australia is great! And very photogenic!

    ST - I think I need to start expanding my musical horizons. Apart from Rage, I haven't heard of the others - although maybe Gonzalez rings a bell. Didn't he do the music on the bouncing ball Sony Bravia advert? Nice.

     
  • At 9/9/06 1:54 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Hang on, I have heard of Dusty Springfield.

     
  • At 9/9/06 2:36 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Hmm, well on trips to Amsterdam I used to enjoy listening to Gangstarr's 'ALONGWAYTOGO' ('...when you don't know where you're going. You don't know where you're going when you're lost.')

    Which I, inevitably was.

    Gomez? Squeeky guitar nonsense from the 90's, surely?

     
  • At 10/9/06 4:43 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I would say that 'nonsense' is perhaps a little too harsh but you are quite accurate with the guitar comment. I counted three of them on the go for most of the gig. They also had an acoustic.

     
  • At 10/9/06 7:49 AM, Blogger Me said…

    That's four then.

    I like listening to The Killers when I'm walking, and Kings of Leon. They're upbeat so they make me walk quickly and cheerfully, which is quite important when people keep getting in your way. They also use guitars, though, so expect some kind of huffy comment from Andy.

    A shuffle is always a good option too, as is any kind of house music. That's a bit vague, isn't it?

     
  • At 10/9/06 11:31 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks Mike. It's a bit vague but I know what you mean. I stuck on an old Gatecrasher compilation on Thursday which went down a treat.

     
  • At 11/9/06 10:24 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I had a pretty wierd selection playing on the way home earlier; The Killers (excellent choice Mike), Gang Starr (excellent choice Andy, but I couldn't remember the tune you suggested), some Jurassic 5, Roots Manuva and Ash! However I decided to play Massive Attack's Teardrop as a descended from street level into the train station and that was a winner. Superb song. Goes down a treat in rush hour madness.

     
  • At 11/9/06 11:25 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I bought Massive Attack's Mezzanine and their Greatest Hits thingy while I was in England. I've been meaning to buy Mezzanine for about 7 years. I was going to recommend that for walking, actually, although it would be quite an intense walk.

     
  • At 12/9/06 8:24 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    I'm going to say Rage Against the Machine again. I listened to them when I went running at lunchtime today, and it was an *excellent* workout.

    Probably just as well I didn't bump into anyone as I ran alongside the river though.

    ST

     

Post a Comment

<< Home