Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sydney Harbour National Park - North Head

This is what happens when you nose dive off the front of a surfboard in a couple of feet or water. You smash you head on the ocean floor. I guess it is a bit like diving into the shallow end of a swimming pool without putting your hands out to stop the impact. I was very very lucky to come away with nothing more than an even bigger forehead than I've already got, and a sore neck. I did stay in the water after the accident though and made sure I caught a decent wave before calling it a day.















I had planned on going to watch Sydney FC on Sunday afternoon but everyone bailed on me, and after the suring accident, I didn't fancy the trek on my own. Will had made plans to come over and spend the afternoon with H so I hung around with them. We decided to go for a bit of a walk and I suggested that we go to the North Head part of the Sydney Harbour National Park, which is only a short walk from Manly.

The walk took us past Manly Beach and up onto the Eastern Hill.









The National Park is another beautiful part of Sydney, and it's hard to believe that you are actually within the city boundaries as you walk through it. It looks just like parts of the outback.





























The North Head at the entrance to Sydney Harbour. This is the view towards the South Head. You can't see Bondi from here but it's in that direction.















And this is the view towards the City.

























































We also saw some dolphins, which is always amazing, and I got to take a lot of panoramic pictures which don't do the view the justice it deserves. The view from the North Head is one of the best views I have seen of the city, and you can't even see The Opera House (and you can only just see the top of the Harbour Bridge)!


















10 Comments:

  • At 19/9/06 3:16 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Ouch. That missing chunk of skin from your head looks a bit like Australia. Not a very flattering photo for a guy with a receding hairline either.

    You're loving the panoramas now I see - good work!

     
  • At 20/9/06 7:22 AM, Blogger RJL said…

    I thought that was my head for a few seconds...

     
  • At 20/9/06 10:42 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I look like a bit of a prat with a nicely forming scab on my head. Luckily my hair is long enough now to try and disguise it a little, but not as much as I'd like.

    Someone at work asked if I came off my skateboard!!! Do I look 13?

    It's definitely not a flattering piccy but I thought I'd share the incident with you. I'm just thankful I didn't break my neck, which is still pretty sore by the way.

     
  • At 20/9/06 4:26 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Presume that it's not cool to surf with that fetching cycle helmet you wear in your profile then?

    Again - more fab pics (and t-5days until I get to see the place for myself. Hurrah!)

     
  • At 21/9/06 11:09 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Hi Sarah. It sounds like you are regular reader of this blog so thanks for your support!

    No, the cycle helmet wont be very cool although we are in for a weekend of good weather which means I will spend a lot of the time in the water. I now have a nasty scab on my head which will need protecting from the salt walter. Unless I can find one of those speedo swimming caps (and I am not going to look for one anyway) it looks like the wound will be back so square one come Monday morning.

    You will love it here.

     
  • At 21/9/06 12:06 PM, Blogger RJL said…

    I've got a few nice hats you can use...you could impress them all with a World Championships Swim Cap if you want :-)

     
  • At 21/9/06 8:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Can I just say how ridiculously envious I am that you live there! Very pleased though that it's great - injury aside of course.. Trying to work out where it would be best to have a giant putrefacating sore and I reckon that you're in the best place possible! Sun to dry it out nicely but you might end up with a slightly lighter tan on the scar tissue - be prepared for a st tropez top up!

     
  • At 23/9/06 11:57 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks BB, and lovely to hear from you.

    You are quite right about the injury. It has healed now (a lot faster than I thought, it must be the sun) but it is a lovely shade of pink on an otherwise tanned expanse of forehead.

     
  • At 26/9/06 12:15 PM, Blogger Me said…

    You've really put me off surfing in December now. Good panorama work.

     
  • At 28/9/06 10:49 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    You'll be fine Mike. Don't let my injuries put you off.

    I was thinking that maybe we could head to that look-out point on Boxing Day - it's the start of the Sydney to Hobart boat race on that day so it should make for good viewing (well, as interesting as lots of boats in water can be).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home