Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sydney Mardi Gras 2007

The month long Mardi Gras season finished on Saturday night with the street parade and party. H was out of town, in Byron Bay on a girlie weekend away. I was left in Sydney for probably the biggest gay event in the world.

I saw the parade when I was last here and it is arguably one of the best nights in Sydney. Oxford Street is rammed with people and basically anything goes. Check out a couple of videos here and here. Everyone is up for a good night. And we had a cracker. I spent the evening with watching the parade on the steps of The Burdekin, which is a bar at the start of the parade. Simo was putting a night on there after the parade. The streets were rammed with people and the parade was entertaining, although we had more fun with the randoms in the crowd - here, here, here and here.

To make things even better, Andy and Jamie Pole were in Sydney for the weekend, so I hooked up with them at the party. H and I have known them for a few years now and ever since I met them they have talked about wanting to go travelling. And now they are doing it, so it's great to catch up with them down here. They are living in Brisbane at the moment but are planning of moving to Sydney in a few months.

Simo put on a great night and the place was well up for it. Naturally I had my camera at the ready, and I'm bloody glad I did because I caught this and this - sound familiar? Bloc Party are my new favourite band and after weeks of wanting them to come to Australia they have finally announced that they are, in August. I'm now hoping I manage to get tickets. I took a few more videos here, here and here. As you can imgaine, we had loads of fun. I finally got home at 5.30am! I'll apologise for the parade pictures now, they aren't very good.


































































































































































































































































































2 Comments:

  • At 7/3/07 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cheers Jonny for the youtube movies and blog pics (even the one with my eyes shut). Glad you had a top night mate, cos i certianly did too !! :)

    There are more pics from the night here:
    http://stickyfloorproductions.com/pics

    I now officially owe you an electro flavoured mix CD ;)

    BTW you have an extra 's' at play - it's spelled Mardi Gras!

     
  • At 7/3/07 11:42 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    I had a brilliant night mate.

    Great pictures as well, even though I don't seem to be in many of them (maybe three, and that's including one of my back, one of my sleeve and one of me sat on a sofa next to Frenchy with Jackie's new boobs in the way) - but it's not all about me ;). I think I'll have to have a word with Sam when I next see him.....

    Thanks for the spelling correction as well. All sorted, where possible.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home