Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Book Thirty Two

Ok, I'm clearly on a roll now and back into the swing of things. Well, by that I mean I have read a book within a week or so (I actually finished it last week but didn't get round to writing this post then). You may be thinking that this is a rather strange book to read.

I'd first heard of it from my uncle. He'd seen my review of 'The Kite Runner', read it and then recommended it to me. To be honest, I thought nothing more of it. Then, my parents sent me my birthday package over. I'd asked for the Phoenix Nights box set (UK comedy is greatly missed over here) so they'd kindly sent that, along with two books for my reading pleasure. One of them was Book Thirty Two. I asked why they had sent such a random choice. And no, my Dad hadn't spoken to his brother about it. Rather, my parents had been watching Richard and Judy one day, and rather like Oprah, they apparently have a book club. It is recommended as "Richard and Judy's Summer Read". Now I know nothing about Oprah’s club suffice to say that I imagine any author who gets her to talk about a book will be an instant best seller. But then aren't all books? I'm not sure if Richard and Judy have the same effect but it definitely inspired my parents to send me a copy. They haven't even read it themselves.

So, having received this book with three recommendations – my uncle, Richard and Judy (or whoever reads their books for them) – I decided to give it a go. And what a thoroughly enjoyable read it was too. Yes, it really does what I says on the tin. It tells the story of a rich Sheik who wants to see salmon running in the Yemen. He employs the services of a fisheries scientist who strives to make the dream reality. Combine this with a satirical involvement of the UK government and you've got an enjoyable, easy read. It certainly surprised me.


2 Comments:

  • At 24/11/07 2:23 PM, Blogger Me said…

    I've been thinking about picking that up for a while now, but haven't. And now I will!

     
  • At 29/11/07 4:41 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Good stuff. I'm glad I can repay the "inspirational" favour. No doubt you'll demolish it is a few hours. Let me know what you think.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home