Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Book Four

I have now finished Book Four. Andy, your thoughts please.

I finished reading it on the wall over the road, just by the beach. I often like to read there (when I am not hassled by Aussie Randoms), in the sunshine, listening to the waves. I often take a break after a few paragraphs to watch the surfers. Today, I saw a pod of six or seven dolphins surfing in the waves. It was amazing.

The book was excellent. I've seen the film a few times as well so I knew what to expect but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of it.

Before finishing Book Four I noticed the strangest thing. When I was at a houseparty last Saturday I found myself looking at the hosts' bookshelves to see what they have read, or are reading. I even recommended Book Three to someone with unknown enthusiasm.

I have now bought Book Five. I found it in the 'Classics' section. I really am taking this reading thing to a whole new level.

9 Comments:

  • At 29/6/06 6:01 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Wow, didn't know that was a book before it was a film. It's a very scary film.

    Good work, Jonny, you culture vulture, you.

     
  • At 29/6/06 6:37 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Yep, it sure is.

    Culture vulture, haha, you aint seen nothing yet Mikey.

     
  • At 29/6/06 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes wasnt it a beautiful day for reading in the sun! Im a bit of a Clive Cussler fan myself, check out his Dirk Pitt adventures ... unputdownable ... no watching the waves every couple of paragraphs in these ones. If you ever make it over to 'The Cove' you can investigate the bookshelf for next novels (not the bottom shelf - unless you are into Spot, Hairy McLary or the Gruffalo. There is a beauty of a Milly Molly Mandy if it takes your fancy) Muahahahaha

     
  • At 30/6/06 12:14 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    I didn't realise it was a book either. Are you sure you didn't just watch the film and claim to read the book? It even says 'DVD Widescreen' on the front.

    I'm sure the film's probably much better than the book anyway.

     
  • At 30/6/06 12:35 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Jonny - I thought, when you said that this book was for Andy, that you might be reading "The Outsider" by Camus, which Andy let me borrow a couple of years ago. That's some book too.

    Andy - Books come in widescreen format these days. Didn't you know that?

     
  • At 30/6/06 2:31 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Ok, ok, I searched through a few search engines (well, two) to try and find a picture of the book, but with no luck.

    I did read it, honestly.

    I said it was for Andy because it is one of his favourite films. But when guessing what Book Four he thought it may be 'The Outsider'. It looks like I may have to read that at somepoint then.

    Thanks for the advice Lyn. I look forward to checking out the bookshelf in 'The Cove'.

     
  • At 30/6/06 11:38 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    Definitely read 'the outsider' mate, amazing book. Nice and short too! Ideal, I'd have thought. (They haven't done a film of it though, I'm afraid)

    I'm quite intrigued by your claim that you're "taking this reading thing to a whole new level." My guess is you're either reading James Joyce's Ulysses, or the Collins English Dictionary...

     
  • At 30/6/06 2:11 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    For me, Book Five is a whole new level, believe! For a start it's a 'Classic' (according to the book worm who stacked the shop I bought it in). I haven't given it much time yet but in three days I have only managed 15 pages - and it's 400 of them.

    When you mention 'The Outsider' I keep thinking of 'The Outsiders' - that's not the same thing is it? For a start, I know 'The Outsiders' was made into a film which I was made to watch at school.

     
  • At 30/6/06 2:26 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Same same but different.

    Well, just different.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home