Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Friday, June 30, 2006

Home and Away

It's not all football and surfing you know. I have been doing other stuff.

On Saturday (24th) a load of us piled into two cars and drove the twenty or so K's north to a fantastic beach, called Palm Beach.

Palm Beach is Summer Bay, the home of the Australian TV Series
Home and Away which used to fill the after-school 5.10 - 5.35 pm slot on ITV, before Neighbours on BBC 1. I was a fan of both.

I have some fond memories of Summer Bay, but perhaps the best was turning on the TV one evening and seeing that
this had turned dramatically turned into this, with huge proportions. Her name is Kate Ritchie and she played Sally Fletcher. Whilst looking up those pictures I found out that she was on a sex tape that did the rounds in 2000. She has never commented on the allegations. She is still in Home and Away though. And I haven't seen the tape.

There's been some cracking things happen in Summer Bay over the years.
Bobby coming out of husband-murderer Ailsa’s fridge was a bit wierd. She's been hit by a speedboat if memory serves me correctly. Tom and Pippa Fletcher seemed to foster everything that move (including Sophie, who had bad skin but was quite tasty) and Sally, Alf never let us down with his "Flamin' Gala's", Donald 'Flathead' Fisher had a bizarre relationship with Marilyn (who once dated Matt Le Tissier), Lance Smart and Martin Dibble were just thick, Damian had a ridiculous haircut (remember the dreadlocks?) and maths dweeb turned karate kid Steven 'Stevo' Matheson beat loads of bullies up on the way home school. Selina was seeing Stevo when she got kidnapped by Saul. She also saw a guy called Jesse who cheated on her with Chloe. And then there was Angel! Her boyfriend Shane died on a rock.

Life was complicated in Summer Bay.

Anyway, we had a great time there. It was a gorgeous winters day, a very pleasant 18 degrees with very few clouds in the sky, so there was only one thing for it.....our first Aussie BBQ. Whilst Will cooked we threw rugby balls, tennis balls, frisbies and played a spot of football. It was great fun.


Julia and Will.














Will the Chef.














Palm Beach.







































Once the food had gone down it was time for a surf. H and I had foolishly decided not to take our wetsuits but it didn't stop us going in the water. It wasn't too bad but after twenty minutes or so it was time to get out. I managed to have a cheeky little bodyboard though.

As the sun began to go down we decided to call it a day and head back to the City as there was parties to go to. It was a great day out with a great bunch of people - they've all been really nice to me and H and have helped us settle in a lot. Nice work Mr Skinner.

So I did manage to kick a football around and have a surf. Ok, ok, the last month has been pretty much about football and surfing.

4 Comments:

  • At 30/6/06 3:44 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Football, surfing... and reading, remember...

    Glad you're feeling more and more at home there.

    My favourite memory of H and A (which I never really watched in the same way as I watched Neighbours) was of some bloke being thrown off a cliff. It was so obviously a badly made dummy, with string for hair etc, that I stopped watching the show. I had such high standards as a teenager.

     
  • At 30/6/06 10:02 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks for your Home and Away input Mike, such fond mammaries eh?

    And thanks for mentioning the Reading - how could I have missed such a significant life-changing event out? By the way I am making slow in-roads into Book Five.

     
  • At 30/6/06 12:03 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    It's quite concerning really that I only recognise half of the people from your home & away description, and yet I'm a few years younger than you. You must have been watching that tripe well into your 20's...

    I'm also starting to get the impression that you only watched the show for Sally Fisher's mammaries (but i have to say, i do remember the episode that they suddenly appeared, overnight it seemed).

     
  • At 30/6/06 2:13 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Maybe into my early twenties :)

    And I'm glad you remember the episode. Yeah, it's amazing how so much could appear so quickly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home