Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Togo 0 Switzerland 2

Guy Mowbray!!

I had the pleasure of listening to him throughout this game as I valiantly fought sleep off whilst lying on the sofa (I'd only had 4 hours last night). He really is painful on the ears.

Actually I managed to watch all of the first half and then decided to have a cheeky fifteen minute powernap during the idle half-time chit-chat. I woke up with twenty mintues to go.

I was hoping Togo would get a result but the Swiss were just too boring and organised. It was an enjoyable game though. Things may have been different if Adebayor had been awarded that penalty in the first half. Mowbray said he was rolling around "like a 4 year old" in the box, which probably didn't help his penalty claim.

Anyway, I did hear one or two Mowbray classics, which although not in the same league as Lineker, Hansen, Wrighty, Lawro, Motty and all the others I don't get to listen to, they are worth noting.

At the start of the game; "There's a real Cup-time atmosphere". You'd think so wouldn't you, it being the World Cup and all.....

After the Togo goalkeeper first touched the ball; "The impressive thing there is that the goalkeeper actually caught the ball".

At the end of the first half, in injury time; "I was once told off by a ref for calling it injury time because not all stoppages are injuries".

And finally, given the multi-cultural nature of the tournament, in the last few moments of the game; "the currency we are dealing with here is seconds, rather than minutes".

1 Comments:

  • At 22/6/06 6:24 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I'll never tire of listening to commentators tie themselves in knots.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home