Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Go The Swannies!

Most Friday nights here tend to involve going out in the city straight from work. Everytime we have a great night. But last Friday I fancied something different. I have recently become a bit of an AFL fan. H and I went to a game with Mike when he came over to visit and since then I have enjoyed watching the the odd game on TV. The most notable one was when the Sydney Swans beat the West Coast Eagles by one point with virtually the last kick of the game. It was brilliant. It’s excellent hangover TV, especially when the weather is a bit ropey.

On Friday the Swans played the Fremantle Dockers in the Preliminary Final at Telstra Stadium and I had one eye on going along for most of the week. No-one else was really up for it and I was craving some big game atmosphere so I headed off on my own to the stadium. It was a balmy evening and I didn’t fancy a hangover on Saturday morning, especially when we were forecast such a hot weekend.

The Swans put in a convincing performance and easily beat the Dockers and now progress to their second Grand Final in Melbourne on Saturday. They are playing the Eagles again, a repeat of last years Grand Final which Sydney won. It was a great game and I’m glad I made the effort to go.

























































Once again, the referees put on a good show and I took these for Mike. He has written about his AFL experience, and why he likes the referees so much here.





























The Money Shot - Giving It The Fingers.....


3 Comments:

  • At 26/9/06 12:20 PM, Blogger Me said…

    Beauties, mate! Looks like you were in a much better spot to get photos of the refs. Did you watch any of the game this time too?

    Also, why are the refs dressed in canary yellow? That seems wrong to me.

    GO SWANNIES!

     
  • At 26/9/06 12:56 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Yes that's a wrong-un. They've lost all of their penguin-like grace.

    So, is it really a good game? Seriously?

     
  • At 29/9/06 11:28 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Yeah, it's a great game and I did end up watching a lot of it, especially as I now what's going on (well more than I did when I last went).

    I don't know why the referees are dressed differently this time, and why the goal judges weren't dressed up like the local butcher.

    The Grand Final is on Saturday and should make for excellent viewing I reckon.

    I was in a great little spot Mike, but then the ticket did cost me 45 more bucks than when we went (being the Preliminary Final, and at the Olympic Stadium, the prices were much more than what they would've been at the SCG).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home