Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Mike and Ella Are Here!

Well, they were here but they have just gone off to the Blue Mountains and maybe the Hunter Valley for a few days. They are due back on Friday, in time for mass celebrations across Sydney when just about everyone we have met here, including H and I, breaks up for a two week holiday.

We’ve been on the go since they arrived and as a result, we haven’t had much sleep. But it’s all good and fantastic seeing them again. I met them both at the airport early Saturday morning and we have spent the last few days watching the cricket, going to the beach, drinking beer, shopping at Warringah Mall (we got that one out the way nice and early), introducing friends and saying goodbye to Will who heads back to the UK for a couple of weeks this evening. Given the fact that Christmas is nearly here we are pretty under prepared. Mike and Ella left a Turkey breast, some pigs and blankets in the freezer before they left and I've stocked up on the Coopers but we'll have to get lots more. I think a trip to the Fish Market on Christmas Eve is on the cards. Our balcony is covered with rather nice fairy lights though, expertly put up by H and Ella as Mike and I reverted back to our finest Australian accents, lay on the sofa and watched the cricket.

As far as Christmas is concerned, I think it will involve a early morning swim and surf followed by a nice lunch and then an afternoon on the beach with the North Shore crew. Swimming, surfing, beach cricket will be the order of the day but those of you back in Blighty will be pleased to hear that the weather forecast isn't the best, with only 21 degrees forecast. Anyway, the suggested plan is to spend the evening at a friends (Martin's) house in Neutral bay where we are going for a BBQ and karaoke!! The Sydney to Hobart yacht race kicks off on Boxing Day and I think we are all going to go to the North Head to watch it.

I’ve also got a little trip to Brisbane tomorrow. There’s a work Xmas do going on up there and I’m being flown up with the Velocity Account team – BBQ and Bare Foot Bowls. I don't think my IT team are too happy about me going but I'm not going to say no to a day out the office, in the sun, eating, drinking and playing bowls in the middle of Brisbane.

And on Saturday we are all heading to a day at the races.

There is also talk of kayaking and going to the Opera House over the next couple of weeks. And that’s not forgetting H’s 29th Birthday, New Years Eve in Sydney Harbour, the 'Field Day' festival on New Years Day and the Ashes, to which Mike, Chewie and I are going, even though it’s a done deal.

With Mike and Ella here, Mark and Kim arriving in Sydney today, and the Wichards at the end of the month, it is going to be a very busy, but brilliant, couple of weeks. It also seems that most of our Sydney friends have friends of their own from the UK coming to visit.


We’ve both been looking forward to this time for so long. I can’t believe it has already come around.

4 Comments:

  • At 19/12/06 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes well I hope you have a good one and thanks for really rubbing it in that you're about to have one of the best fortnights ever.

    I'm sure my more traditional christmas will be just as good, despite the lack of beach cricket or surfing. Mind you, only 21c? It'll be warmer than that here, surely?

     
  • At 19/12/06 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent update on seasonal situ. No doubt Mike is equipped with tracksuit to combat freezing conditions playing beach cricket - don't forget his reputation, though I am reluctant to mention Marcus these days. In keeping with the goosepimples please ask Mike to sing a meloncholy rendition of In the Bleak Midwinter - I shall be singing it around midnight on Christmas Eve, which might be a bit early in the day for you! Do hope Santa has put a snowglobe in your stocking. Mike's Ma x

     
  • At 22/12/06 10:26 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    You could be right Andy.

    I'll pass the request on, Mike's Ma.

    They have just got back from a three day trip to the Blue Mountains and the Hunter Valley, and seem to be loving their time here.

    The next couple of weeks are going to be fantastic. H and I met Mark and Kim in the week as well so that turned into a booze-athon. In fact I got a hatrick this week - I managed to pass out on the ferry three nights in a row, which wasn't a bad effort.

    Oh, I didn't go to Brisbane in the end. The damn flight got cancelled and because we were only on stand-by, we got bumped off the next flight. I wasn't amused as it meant I had to spend the day in the office. But it's all good now as we have broken up.

    I'll try and catch up with emails and blogs when I can.....

     
  • At 23/12/06 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, I really shouldn't read your blogs and comment first thing in the morning - can't avoid that slightly bitter edge!

    Have a great Christmas, and I look forward to some webcam action!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home