Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Pearl Jam

I used to be quite a Pearl Jam fan. H was a huge fan. When she found out that they were playing here I wasn’t really that fussed about seeing them. H really wanted too. However, no-one else was up for seeing them so I decided I’d go along with her. We bought tickets a few weeks ago and because we’d left it quite late (it was their third and final night in Sydney) the only seats we could get had a “side view”.





























No sooner had I bought the tickets then I really began to look forward to the gig. Afterall, they have created some wicked tunes. The Kings of Leon were supporting and from what I ‘ve heard, they too are pretty decent.

(Unfortunately) last Saturday was a ripper of a day. Beautiful clear skies, warm water, surfing, snorkelling, tasty breakfast, haircut, beer and beach cricket with friends meant that we didn’t leave Manly till quite late. Needless to say we arrived ten minutes into the Pearl Jam set and missed all of The Kings of Leon. The Acer Arena is part of the Olympic site but Sydney Public Transport only pulls out all the stops when there is an event going on at the Olympic Stadium, not when thousands of people are all headed to the building next door.

The Acer Arena is an excellent indoor venue that holds about 18k people (all seated, but generally standing). The sound is incredible and we had great seats at the front of the upper tier with no-one standing in front of us. Row A! Although side-on we had a great view of the band and the thousands of people filling the venue.






























Although we missed the first two tracks (one of which was Better Man grrrrr!) we were there to see them play some enormous tunes, like 'Even Flow', 'Alive', 'Daughter', 'Rockin’ In The Free World' and 'Jeremy' (which I was dead chuffed to see played live). It was like going back in time. Eddie Vedder belted the tunes out with all those mannerisms he had way back in the day. There were long, self-indulgent guitar and drum solo’s and band members jumping around all over the place. It was great.















The crowd (late twenties, early thirties) were well up for it and the band played for over two hours. They really seemed to be enjoying themselves which is always good to see, especially as we’d shelled out the best part of $100 for the pleasure (maybe that was why they were so into it!).

And they made this kids day.....















So in the space of 8 days H and I have seen U2 and Pearl Jam. That isn’t bad going at all.

Next up, it’s Robbie Williams!


And this week I got tickets to see this band in February.

Result!

10 Comments:

  • At 25/11/06 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You do seem to be spending a lot of money on going to see average bands, especially as they probably only played a handful of tunes that you recognised.

    Sam and I were amused getting texts from H saying 'Alive!' and 'Even Flow!'. At one point Sam's phone beeped, and we both guessed 'Jeremy!'. We were spot on!

     
  • At 25/11/06 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't believe you missed kings of leon. Not a good move, they are a great band.
    Did pearl jam play Porch or state of love and trust? must admit I am slightly envious :)

     
  • At 26/11/06 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, you certainly seem to have moved to the right country to get all that's hot in pop.

    So far, in Singapore, I've seen Norah Jones.

    Brilliant.

    And, as you're off to see them in Feb, I've just checked whether Snow Patrol are coming here.

    They're not.

     
  • At 27/11/06 5:44 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Well H was super excited about the gig and she knew Sam would appreciate the texts, even if you didn’t Andy. I’m not sure if U2 or Pearl Jam would be called 'average' by most people (probably a lot worse by some) but each to their own an all that. I respect your opinion even though it is wrong!

    Em, unfortunately they didn’t played Porch (unless it was the second of the first two tunes we missed, the first being ‘Better Man’) and I don’t think they played the other one but H will correct me if I am wrong whenever she gets round to looking at blogs. And we had be looking forward to seeing the Kings Of Leon, not that either of us have any of their tunes. Beach life scuppered those plans.

    Mike, you're right. We do seem to be onto a winner here with all the great gigs coming up. And tickets go on sale later on this week for the one band I want to see more than any other. Details to follow.....if I'm successful.

     
  • At 29/11/06 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello mate!

    Can you believe i only just came across your blog? You were mentioning it SO much on Friday night at the So Wrong party that i realised i'd somehow missed out on getting a link to it - but all the same here i am after pestering Will to tell me the URL.

    Looking forward to seeing your wrong pics and comparing them to mine. Especially as there were about 5 or so shots you took on Friday night that you were ultra-enthused about immediately after reviewing them on your cam - i think all 5 even scored the comment "i know exactly where these are going on my blog!" while you punched the air in excitement!

    Anyway mate, good to catch you online and i'll spend a little time going back through your blogging history - nice and entertaining, and a lovely diversion from work ;)

    PS: I'm a big Pearl Jam fan too, as well as U2, but it seems their latest offerings just don't do it for me when compared with their earlier stuff... or maybe i'm just getting old now?!

    :)

    ~Simo

     
  • At 29/11/06 8:25 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Great to hear from you Simo.

    The "So Wrong" party was excellent but I was actually thinking about not publishing those pictures (my parents read this blog!) but now you have mentioned it in your comment it looks like I have no choice - especially as everyone can see how ridiculous I look in your pictures.

    Good work.

     
  • At 29/11/06 12:40 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    Yeah I agree with Em about the Kings of Leon - they're an excellent band, and they're great live, so it's a shame you missed them. Snow Patrol will be brilliant though. I saw them a few months ago at Nottingham Rock City and it was a 10/10 gig. They were brilliant. Best gig I've been to in years.

    I'm not sure about the "average" claim either - and anyway, I always say that a night out at an average gig is better than a night in front of the telly any day of the week.

    ST

     
  • At 30/11/06 10:24 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    An excellent point very well made ST.

     
  • At 30/11/06 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OK I'll admit it. I was being facetious, and I'm extremely jealous. Satisfied?

    Simo's pics are indeed 'so wrong'. Nice outfit mate! Any reason? Or was it just a case of 'any excuse?'.

    I was also most amused by Steve Irwin and Britney. Oh, and the champagne glass dance, of course.

    No sign of H though, unless she was well disguised?

     
  • At 2/12/06 6:16 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks Andy - I thought you'd like the pics, and now there as a way for people to see the pictures I'm not so sure I should publish them in all their glory on my blog.

    I didn't know what to wear to the party. In fact I wasn't going to bother dressing up - then Julia and Melv said that everyone was going to make at effort. Luckily H came up trumps with my outfit. To be honest, I was slightly concerned but she met me outside the venue with it and I put it on, on the street, in full view of a restaurant.

    It was a liberating experience.

    As for girl in the champagne glass, I have a rather amusing video of her and the birthday boy. But I'd best not put it on this blog. Maybe I'll MSN it to you sometime.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home