Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Book Fifteen

Faster than Pob can shout "Yes Shane!" or "Bowling Warney!" during a spectacular second innings collapse, I give you Book Fifteen.






















It’s supposed to be about Stalin. I thought it was about animals taking over a farm.

Either way, it’s a beauty of a book. It reminded me a lot of 1984 (but I thought it was even better), most probably because of the style of writing, but also because it seemed to tell a similar tale. Winston could have easily been any one of the animals that weren’t a pig, dog or sheep, with Big Brother Nasty Napoleon and his Inner Party comrades ruling the show with iron trotters.

Having learnt my lesson from 1984, I avoided reading the Introduction until I’d finished the story. I’m glad I did because once again, it would’ve told me what happens in the story before the story even starts. I don’t know why publishers do this with classics. I think they think the Introduction is as important as the book. I don’t. Either way, it didn’t really interest me (I found the Introduction to 1984 was quite interesting though but I guess I have had my fill of them now). I have never been into history or politics even if it is what inspired the book. Maybe it reminded me too much of A’ Level English Literature with GCSE History thrown into the mix.

I guess I should avoid reading the Introductions altogether, but then I wouldn’t feel like I’ve actually finished the book.

I did find the “Notes On The Text” section quite interesting though, and the two Appendices which were actually written by Orwell himself, which gave his own reasons for writing the book.

5 Comments:

  • At 9/12/06 7:41 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Nice choice, Jonny. I teach this book and every year find myself laughing at the image of pigs milking cows. It's also, as you say, a very serious book about history and stuff, but the pigs milking the cows! Ha ha!

    You're going to run out of Orwells and Eltons soon...

     
  • At 9/12/06 12:06 PM, Blogger MIKE AND LYN said…

    Jonny,talking of Shane Warne he was once accused of being fat when he came in to bat by one of the English criketers to which he replied."THATS BECAUSE EACH TIME I SHAG YOUR WIFE SHE GIVES ME A BISCUIT",clasic sledging

     
  • At 10/12/06 8:28 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks Mike, I was pretty chuffed with myself for reading all 95 pages. Mind you, credit should really go to H as she bought the book.

    Great, slightly random, comment Dad. Watching Warney it definitely one of the highlights of Australian cricket.

     
  • At 10/12/06 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Jonny, time to get away from the classics and head for some fantastic travelling yarns...two I would highly recommend you look for in the shops... Marching Powder (Rusty Young) and The Cloud Garden (Tom Hart Dyke and Paul Winder) Esp. The Cloud Garden - you will find yourself chortling on that ferry ride!
    You will love them - both Sth America. If you ever make it to 'The Cove' I can lend you Marching ;-) Talking Classics, Steve is reading Homer at the moment -arrrgh!

     
  • At 11/12/06 9:24 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks Lyn - and I haven't forgotten about a trip to 'The Cove'.

    Those books sound great. I'm always interested in recommendations.

    Will definitely hook up in the New Year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home