Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be.....

.....a Rugby League fan from St Helens and talk with a stupid accent for as long as I can (and I don't mean to offend anyone from St Helens with that comment. I am simply referring to the ridiculous impression I did at random times during the night in question).

On Saturday night H and I went to watch Australia play Great Britain at Rugby League. Unbelievable isn't it? I have never ever been interested in League, most probably because it's a game played in the north of England. I wouldn't even say I was a Rugby Union fan, although I always like to watch England play. But Rugby League is massive here and I thought it was about time I took a look and what better time than to get behind Great Britain as they took on Australia in their own back yard.

Saturday itself was another winner here. Ok, the weather was rather English but H, James and I were really excited about watching the match live. There had been quite a lot of hype about the fixture in the press.















We met in Darling Harbour for some pre-game drinks and food before heading to the match.















The match was played at Aussie Stadium and we arrived shortly before kick-off. Given the fact League is so big here, and Sydney has a few teams in the national league, it was a little surprising to see the stadium just over half full. It probably had something to do with the weather and the fact that the game was being screened live on TV. Anyway, there was a nice atmosphere in there and those fans who'd travelled 12k miles for the Tri-Nations series (and the cricket), as well as the Poms who live here, were well up for it.

I took this just before kick-off. I much prefer it to our national anthem.

Anyway, the match got off to a flyer. It kicked off a few minutes into the game when the outspoken Australian forward, Willie Mason, chinned the Great Britain prop, Stuart Fielden (check this as well). The spark was lit! The guys who play League are all massive and they seem to like nothing better than to smack head first into each other whilst running at speed. There were some massive hits out there.















After one of the biggest hits of the night which left one of the Great Britain team looking punch drunk, the Aussie crowd nearest to him became quite animated and vocal as they wound him up. Some of the Great Britain fans took exception to this and queue the first bit of crowd trouble I've seen since I've been here.















I never thought Great Britain had a chance of winning this game. Australia looked to be in excellent form having beaten New Zealand recently whilst Great Britain lost to the Kiwi's last weekend. The fact that the Kiwi's were stripped of their Tri-Nations points for fielding an ineligible player against Great Britain meant that the tourists had everything to play for on Saturday.

I luckily managed to capture this. Check out the guy giving it a different kind of fingers.

The Tri-Nations final is on November 25th and I think we will be going to the game, especially if Great Britain get through. If it's half as exciting as Saturday's game was then we'd get our money's worth. I'm almost tempted to go and watch my local team, the Manly Sea Eagles, when the NRL season kicks off.

We met up with some friends in Surry Hills after the game. There was a definite edge to the atmosphere whilst leaving the ground. The English cricket team arrived here on Sunday so some of the Poms were giving it the large one on the way out. Obviously the Aussies didn't take it too well.

Anyway, after some beer it was back to Neutral Bay for some early morning Premiership and a kebab round another mates house.















The working week got off to another good start as I secured tickets for another festival next year. Headliners include these guys, and these, as well as these. Should be great.

And I am sooooo excited about seeing the biggest band in the world at the Telstra Stadium on Saturday. Cameras are banned but I'm going to try and smuggle mine in there. I have never had the chance to see them live before but have always wanted too. When they were in the UK last year, as part of their Vertigo world tour, H and I were over here validating our visas. Thankfully their Australia dates had to be rescheduled and I was lucky enough to secure a couple of re-sale tickets. Bring it on! I cannot wait.

4 Comments:

  • At 9/11/06 8:53 AM, Blogger RJL said…

    Good skills getting the tickets for U2. I have to admit, they are the one band I have always wanted to see. Reckon you can always guarantee a good gig with their back catalogue!

     
  • At 9/11/06 10:47 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Hey Jonny

    I've enjoyed catching up with what you've been up to. I haven't had a chance to read this properly for about two months and what you've crammed into them is pretty impressive, to say the least. I guess you could say the move is working out well...

     
  • At 10/11/06 12:57 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    What a great game of Rugby League to go to. Probably one of the few Rugby League games ever worth going to. Quality punch up at the start and then GB go and win the bloody thing! Amazing.

    Love the fingers!

    Festival looks good, not so sure about 'the biggest band in the world' but each to their own...

     
  • At 10/11/06 10:09 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Great to have you back in the land of the blog Mike. Yeah, the move has definitely been for the best.

    The gig is tonight!!!!! Didn't you go and see them in the UK last year Rich? I thought you did.

    Yep, it was a stupidly good game of rugby. Hopefully the final will be another cracker.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home