Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Hawkesbury River Houseboat Extravaganza!

So last weekend 18 of us headed north, an hour out of Sydney, to the beautiful Hawkesbury River, where we'd hired two houseboats.







H and I have nearly been here for 6 months now and it was the first time we have left the City (although it feels like we do every day when we return to Manly). This trip had been in the pipeline for a few months now and all of a sudden it was here. Thanks to excellent planning and preparation by Will, Julia and Simo we all arrived on time with hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of booze and food already brought. Result! Naturally all of the booze for the weekend was pretty much drunk in the first night. The meals had been planned with military precision and no-one went hungry. We BBQ’d anything and everything.





















































































The weather was very kind to us as well. The temperature hit the mid-thirties on Friday and Saturday, and although we didn’t arrive until about 3pm on the Friday, it meant for a warm, balmy evening lying on the deck, listening to tunes and watching the most beautiful night sky (with very little light pollution). I saw two shooting stars which is always nice.















Jumping off the boat into the pitch black river was good fun, although perhaps a little unnerving. Sharks have been pulled out of the Hawkesbury before. The phosphorescence was something else! Saturday meant a day of sunbathing, diving, swimming, drinking and eating. I think most people started polishing off the booze that was leftover before 8am on the Saturday. And even I was sensible with the suntan lotion. I hate the stuff but I have noticed myself getting more and more conscious of just how dangerous it can be down here. For the first time in my life I found myself using some Factor 30!





























The weather changed on Saturday night and the winds hit. I thought a rubbish bag had been blown over when I saw a shape in the water. It was very dark so I took a picture to see what it was.















It was a manta ray, honest.

Being in a houseboat.....
















.....reminded me of being in a static caravan.















Except the scenery moves, thus making it anything but static, and there are no chav pubs or entertainment centres (Fat, sweaty comedians entertaining fat British Bulldogs and fat Gold Hoops) within a zillion miles. The set-up though, is essentially the same. Just add a top bunch of people and away you go. Who’d of thought you’d be able to draw comparisons between the Hawkesbury River in NSW and Chav Bay in Devon? Well you can, and I did.

The constant swaying played havoc with my 32 year old ear canals though. I managed to walk into two walls at work on Monday.

Although I took my camera with me on the trip I didn't take as many pictures as I'd like because my camera was often on the other boat. Simo took some great shots though and you can see them
here. If you're interested you can also see his Parklife pictures on the same site.

4 Comments:

  • At 22/10/06 10:24 AM, Blogger Andy said…

    Yes great comparison there Jonny - I for one never would have thought that you could draw comparisons between the Hawkesbury River in NSW and Chav Bay in Devon, but you managed it. Well done.

    Just a couple of comments about the photos - first yours: Are you sure that isn't a carrier bag in the river?

    As for Simo's snaps - firstly, you need a haircut (although the limp wrist does suit your new look, somehow).

    Secondly, What were H & Will attempting to sing? Thirdly, they were obviously pretty rubbish as here they are thinking about their performance (which Simmo titled "green and drunk!")

    Finally - you really need a haircut. It wasn't until I saw that caption on the next photo that I realised this was you ...until then I thought it looked amazingly like Sam's long-haired mate Jonno, from Southampton.

     
  • At 23/10/06 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks like a top party, you should enter that photo ont chavescum, try and get another one in the book.

    By the way, totally missed the boat but hope you had a good bday, I'm only 2 weeks late.....
    And a aprting comment - I agree with Mr Simpson get a haircut you homo. :-)

     
  • At 23/10/06 10:43 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Andy, cracking comment mate. Good work looking through the photos as well.

    Yes, I do need a haircut but it has to be all or nothing. It is definitely at the annoying stage now, but having not bothered about it for so long I am tempted to leave it for the whole 12 months (till February). Afterall it's falling out and I'll never see it again. As H keeps saying, if I buzz it off I will look like a peanut.

    H and Will sung many tunes. Unfortunately I cannot identify the one they were singing in that picture. They do a good job though.

    Chris - good to hear from mate, and nice to know you are still checking in. It was a great weekend party. As for the chav book, I haven't heard any more about it, but I'm sure you'll find it in Broadmead if it's on sale, hopefully in time for Xmas. In which case, you can buy it for me. Ta.

     
  • At 24/10/06 2:42 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Nice weekend!

    I was up that direction this weekend too - I had to visit some very distant relatives up at Warnervale - my grandfather was a cousin to the oldest relative's father (no - we couldn't figure out what relationship that made me and my peers!). Its grand having new friends and places to stay though!
    This also means that my weekend back in Sydney didn't happen so I've missed out on meeting you guys for beers. Maybe next time, eh!

    Keep having a marvellous time, and I'll continue to very jealously read your blog as I slowly work my way back to the UK!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home