Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Book Eleven

Here it is, finished on Monday.....




















I had wanted to give Grisham a go for a while now. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because he has written a lot of books, and given that almost every book that is written by anybody these days is a "Best seller", then he has therefore written a lot of "Best Sellers". I often found myself looking through his work but something held me back. Maybe it's because most of his stories seem to be about one law or another, lawyers, judges and court houses. I wasn't really sure if I could take it. Anyway Will had recommended this one to me so when he'd finished with his copy, he lent it to me and Book Eleven was created.

Reading "The Testament" was like reading a movie, and one which I didn't fall asleep through, so it must've been pretty good. I surprised myself and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. And yes, it is about lawyers, judges and court houses, with a large inheritance, some greedy heirs and the Amazon thrown in for good measure. I read it at record pace. Given the words to page ratio, and the fact it is 472 pages long, I think it is a new PB.

4 Comments:

  • At 19/10/06 7:23 AM, Blogger swisslet said…

    nothing wrong with a bit of Grisham - except that if you read a couple of them, they tend to all start to blur into one. There are only so many times that you can read about a young, ambitious lawyer, probably from memphis, who works hundreds of hours a week and gets sucked into some kind of corporate law case.

    I did enjoy "runaway jury" though, and "the firm". Both better than the films, anyway.

    I've said it before, but it's great that you are reading so much.

    ST

     
  • At 19/10/06 9:41 AM, Blogger RJL said…

    I love your approach to reading Jonny...all done in pages per hour etc and setting new PB's!

     
  • At 19/10/06 11:13 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks y'all. I never read like this in the UK, that's for sure. I probably averaged one boom a year and that was it. I've now done eleven books in less than six months which is pretty good going. As soon as one has finished, I start the next and I really like that bit when I get to decide what to read next. I think the commute definitely helps as it gives me at least an hour of reading time each day, but I have discovered what it is like to really get into a book and grab a few pages when you can....or stop at a cliff-hanger moment so I REALLY look forward to picking it up again at the end of a crap day at work.

    Rich - I thought you'd appreciate the PB bit. I didn't know that I could be a reading machine at times.

     
  • At 20/10/06 11:57 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    My Dad reads Grisham. I've purchased many a Grisham novel for father's day, but never considered reading it myself, for some reason. I always thought that you had to read his novels in sequence though?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home