Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Book Twelve

Book Twelve. Thanks to Will for giving me this for my birthday.




















I nailed it in a week but at only 200 pages long, and given my current words-per-day ratio I would’ve been disappointed with anything less.

It’s actually a collection of short stories so I feel like I’ve cheated the system somewhat, but given the fact that a) it is a book and b) there is no other qualifying factor, this book becomes Book Twelve. I’ve been surfing now for about 5 months so it was about time that I got round to reading a book about the water. I thought all the stories were going to be about barrels, tubes, close-outs, lefts, rights, drop-ins, free falls, wipe outs and being gnarly, but they weren’t. The book is all about people’s attitude towards, and respect for, the ocean, and having been wiped out on numerous occasions (including two massive, frightening hits that I will never ever forget), as well as having nearly bust my neck and my nose (the latest injury happening on Sunday morning when I pulled the board back into my face) I have plenty of that.

It’s back to the Classic shelf for Book Thirteen and it may take some time, even though it is a little over 300 pages long. I think it's probably the most challenging book so far. I started to read it on the ferry home on Monday but fell asleep on the third page. I'll put that down to general Monday apathy as opposed to the book. But it's already Thursday and I'm only 60 pages in.

5 Comments:

  • At 27/10/06 11:57 PM, Blogger swisslet said…

    ha! I fall asleep over books all the time. Sometimes this is because I am tired.

    You're doing brilliantly. I'm currently working my way through a book of neil gaiman short stories (brilliant) and a massive don de lillo novel (less so, at the moment - but give it time)

    Books are brilliant, innit?

    ST

     
  • At 28/10/06 8:15 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Short stories? Surely that doesn't count?

    Why don't you just read lots of Mr Men books? They're a great read and would probably massively improve your page per day ratio.

     
  • At 29/10/06 9:46 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Yep ST, (some) books are brilliant! Book Thirteen is a bit of a struggle but I am sticking at it. I'm just not sure how long it will take to finish it. Another week of commuting should help, but it is the first book I have read since I've been here that I stuggle with after work when I'm tired.

    Good point Andy but I don't want to cheat the system.

     
  • At 29/10/06 12:50 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    I Quote: "a) it is a book and b) there is no other qualifying factor"

    So, you wouldn't be cheating the system, merely maximising your potential...

     
  • At 30/10/06 8:48 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Oh yes. I see your point.

    So we know what Books Fourteen and above will be.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home