Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Work's For Losers

Ok, so I expect this is the post you lot have most been looking forward to.

I have started to look for work.

Now that England are jetting off to their luxury 5-star holiday locations to get over their rubbish World Cup, I thought that now is an appropriate time to start looking for work in this luxury, not quite 5-star, holiday location. So yesterday I sent my CV off to a couple of agencies, with more of the same today. I've got my first 'interview' with an agency on Thursday.

I'm actually looking forward to working, meeting some new people, and earning some cash. I will of course miss the lie-ins and the surfing but that's what I'll be doing on my weekends. If I am dedicated enough I may even have a surf before work. It's deepest, darkest midwinter here and the beauty of it is is that it's light by 7am (and gets dark just after 5pm so an after-work surf is out of the question, at least until the summer when it gets dark at 9 or 10pm). I won't miss cooking at all though which I do everyday when H is at work. Mind you, she has had to deal with me turning in for bed just as she gets up to go to work which can't have been easy for her.

Actually I've already got a job, well a very flexible, part-time one anyway. My neighbour is a
property developer (although not as glamorous, and besides he is a he) who has just bought a two bedroom flat just down the road. He came round the other day and asked if I would be interested in doing some labouring for him, basically smashing the place up as it needs to be completely gutted. I think I'm going to start tomorrow. I am going to be the new, but without the criminal record or the creativity. It'll be good to get some beer money and I can fit it in around looking for a permanent job in the City.

So that's it. I wonder what this job hunting holds in store for me.

Let the games commence.

2 Comments:

  • At 4/7/06 9:55 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Good luck with that. You're not going to try teaching again, are you?

     
  • At 4/7/06 8:13 PM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Not a chance. It would very much be a last resort for me I'm afraid.

    I think I'd have to register over here and probably start at the bottom again, having only had a years experience in the UK.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home