Travelling in a fried-out combie

So what really happens when you get Permanent Residency status for Australia? H and I are about to find out.....

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Book Ten

I'm afraid the Parklife blog is going to have to wait a few days. Once again I took far too many pictures and it's going to take me a while to look through them.

But I have finished reading Book Ten, and here it is. Ok, it may not be the finest piece of literature ever written but it had me hooked from start to finish, and surely that’s the point of a book, no matter how well it is written.




















My daily commute to and from work allows me a good hours worth of reading time and whilst reading this book I couldn’t wait to get stuck into it on each journey. It certainly made going to work a lot more bearable (as if being on the left had side of the ferry as it turns around Bradley’s Head isn’t enough!).

I have enjoyed nine of the ten books I have read since being here but this is my favourite so far. It’s brilliant. And I thought it wouldn’t get any better than Popcorn. Ben Elton has a knack for writing entertaining stories about current affairs we see or hear about almost daily in the news. I’ve read three of his books now; High Society was about drugs, Popcorn was about violence in movies, and this book was about bullying, and “Friends Reunited”, in a past meets present “Who dunnit?” murder mystery that had me guessing up until the end (well, page 449).

I would’ve finished this within a week or so if I hadn’t been out and about all weekend, and for me and my reading history, that’s saying something – it’s 460 pages long. I would have set a new PB, although I think I will claim one anyway. I caned a good 400 pages or so in one week.

Winner!

2 Comments:

  • At 4/10/06 3:30 PM, Blogger Andy said…

    Winner indeed. You really are turning into a bookworm.

    For some reason, I had always presumed that Ben Elton books would just be full of cock jokes and cheap one-liners.

     
  • At 7/10/06 1:22 AM, Blogger Jonny said…

    Thanks mate. I thought the same thing but they are not. The three I have read so far have all been excellent, entertaining stories.

    Maybe over the course of this new lease of reading life I'll try and read all of his books.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home